Honored Contributor

Our vet writes a prescription for a year to give our dog monthly. It is for life. We have the test run each year.

john

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

NO heartworm preventative works 100%. if you are purchasing your preventatives from 3rd party sourses and not from a Veterinarian that has bought their product directly, you  may be canceling any gaurantee the company offers for heartworm treatment if the pet developes Heartworm while on their product.  counterfit product Has been found to be sold from 3rd party  outlets. 

If the yearly exam and your pets heartworm test are at different times, perhaps you could  ask if you could coordinate them to be together to save you another trip. 

Valued Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@qvcaddition   Why is your dog on permanent heartworm meds?

Heartworm meds are preventative. The dog is on them so it doesn't get heartworm.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac 

@Mz iMac wrote:

@qvcaddition  Since you are a senior......

Ask your vet about "senior rates."  All the vets in my neck of the woods have "senior rates."  My vet visits are practically free!  I've never had a bill over $50.

My dog's 2nd lyme shot & visit was FREE!

Will have to check on the area Animal Hospitals regarding "senior rates."  They are my "PLAN B" if vet is unavailable.

Thank you. I called Vet and I mentioned about her blood test and exam in April, so he OK the tablets and I ordered it on chewy.com for 27.00. So that is taken care of. Also found out that Silver Paws helps Seniors to take care of certain things, just not meds.  So did some research. He also has a clinic for shots at a discount.

Frequent Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

@Mz iMac 

@Mz iMac wrote:

@qvcaddition  Since you are a senior......

Ask your vet about "senior rates."  All the vets in my neck of the woods have "senior rates."  My vet visits are practically free!  I've never had a bill over $50.

My dog's 2nd lyme shot & visit was FREE!

Will have to check on the area Animal Hospitals regarding "senior rates."  They are my "PLAN B" if vet is unavailable.

Thank you. I called Vet and I mentioned about her blood test and exam in April, so he OK the tablets and I ordered it on chewy.com for 27.00. So that is taken care of. Also found out that Silver Paws helps Seniors to take care of certain things, just not meds.  So did some research. He also has a clinic for shots at a discount.

Thanks @Mz iMac & @qvcaddition !  I didn't know about those programs.

Trusted Contributor

Funny why people have dogs and then grouse about the cost of taking care of them?  If you are that cheap do not have pets.

Respected Contributor

Re: Heartworm exam

[ Edited ]

Heartworm prevention beats the heck out of heartworm treatment.

Saw a very touching story on TV and in our metro newspaper earlier this week about an 8-year-old boy whose new puppy was suddenly diagnosed with heartworm.  Treatment initially was going to cost many hundreds of dollars, followed by continued treatment costing much more.

His parents talked quietly without involving him about how they would meet the cost when they didn't have much money to spare.    Son overheard them and set up a stand outside his house to sell his prized Pokemon card collection.

One thing led to the next, neighbors saw his  yard  stand and the cute crayon picture  he had drawn of his puppy with a  sign asking people to help because  he loved his puppy.

People rose to the occasion and helped in a variety of ways.  Then the story led to a Go Fund Me account.  Money was coming in from many sources.  

Respected Contributor

By the way, this entire thread probably is better suited to the QVC "Pet Lovers" forum.

Frequent Contributor
I adopted a dog from another state who came with a negative heartworm test. Due to the area he was from, my vet suggested a follow up test several months later. Low and behold he was positive. There is an incubation period from the time of infection to when it will show positive on a test. My baby went thru heartworm treatment and I will tell you it was hands down the scariest thing. Knowing he could die from a clot caused by the slightest movement left me paralyzed in fear. And worst part was seeing my baby so sick for months. I had to pay for treatment myself, which was a few thousand dollars. This was the least of my concerns. The 3 to 4 months of this whole ordeal was draining and I PLEAD AND BEG everyone here to PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give your dog a monthly preventive. It's very cheap and your dogs life will depend on it. It's been a few years now and he's doing great, no long term side effects. The American Heartworm Society is definitely the best place for reliable and accurate information. If I remember correctly, giving a dog heartworm preventative if they are positive can be dangerous. This is why vets require a test before prescribing.
Honored Contributor

2 years ago we adopted a dog. He was very ill from heartworm disease. We thought he might die. We wanted him to know he was loved and secure. He didn't die and today he is a frisky little guy and happy member of our pack w/3 other dogs.