Respected Contributor

Low Ferritin - Have you increased yours? Please share :)

I have lower Ferritin - good iron levels but Ferritin (Storage) is low.

First off - YES I AM WORKING WITH MY DOCTOR!!

I'm just curious, if you increased yours, what methods did you use that you feel hellped get your number up, I know it's a slow process, I just want to tackle it at diff. angles so looking for more ideas and suggestions.

Thank you!!

Valued Contributor

Re: Low Ferritin - Have you increased yours? Please share :)

My husband has been low in iron (ferritn) before and he was told by his doctor to eat red meat and to also put nuts and seeds into his diet. There are also iron tablets.

Respected Contributor

Would b vitamins help with that?  (b-12, folic acid (i.e. folate), b-complex) Just thought I'd throw out the idea for you!  Maybe something to look into.

Regular Contributor

Hi there,

I have had the same issue, and for me a Lacto-ferrin supplement actually worked much better, than just straight irom tabs. It did take at least  4 months before I saw an improvement.

Respected Contributor

@clarika wrote:

Hi there,

I have had the same issue, and for me a Lacto-ferrin supplement actually worked much better, than just straight irom tabs. It did take at least  4 months before I saw an improvement.

I will look this up on Amazon, thank you!! @clarika 

Occasional Contributor

My ferritin was 4 at one point, but eating iron rich foods and taking Blood Builder iron supplement daily (as well a stopping my regular blood donations through the Red Cross) helped my levels stay on the low end of the acceptable range.  I didn't know why I almost passed out at my last blood drive, or why I was so fatigued with just a little exertion. I had no idea how low iron could impact my entire endocrine system until my endocrinologist explained it to me.

Honored Contributor

@SandGirl 

When my Ferritin drops low my Hematologist orders an Iron Infusion. There is no other way for me, or my wife, to get Ferritin back to safe levels. I have to do 2 IV Drips, one week apart. Usually takes about 5-8  hours.

Oral Prescription Meds do not do enough, nor does eating any particular foods. Our only option.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@femmebot wrote:

My ferritin was 4 at one point, but eating iron rich foods and taking Blood Builder iron supplement daily (as well a stopping my regular blood donations through the Red Cross) helped my levels stay on the low end of the acceptable range.  I didn't know why I almost passed out at my last blood drive, or why I was so fatigued with just a little exertion. I had no idea how low iron could impact my entire endocrine system until my endocrinologist explained it to me.

Your Ferritin is 4 and you wonder why you had problems?  You are very lucky it didn't end up much worse. Did you get your Hemoglobin number?

john

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@SandGirl 

When my Ferritin drops low my Hematologist orders an Iron Infusion. There is no other way for me, or my wife, to get Ferritin back to safe levels. I have to do 2 IV Drips, one week apart. Usually takes about 5-8  hours.

Oral Prescription Meds do not do enough, nor does eating any particular foods. Our only option.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut  Thank you! My Dr. wanted me to give it a whirl and see where I am in 90 days, if it hasn't come up much then I might need to go that route.  Smiley Happy