Honored Contributor

Re: Health Scare I want to share

@hoosieroriginal, @sidsmom, geez louise.  It is half your body weight in water.  I just noticed what I typed.  ROFLOL  Way to give out bad information.  I'm going to edit my post. 

It's still a lot of water but OMG.  Can you imagine?   

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@hoosieroriginal, @sidsmom, geez louise.  It is half your body weight in water.  I just noticed what I typed.  ROFLOL  Way to give out bad information.  I'm going to edit my post. 

@Lipstickdiva  Charmin, Scott's and Angel Soft actually loved your post!  Heart  It was good for their business!  Smiley LOL

Respected Contributor

@Gram W wrote:

@hoosieroriginal.  Thank you so much for your post.  I wish this information had been here 3 weeks ago.   2 weeks ago tomorrow night I felt weak and funny at 1am.  I was in the bathroom so laid on the floor because I knew I couldn't walk back to bed.  I came to 3 hours later.  I was supposed to do the  cancer Relay for Life Sat but when I called my doctor at 9am he said get to the hospital.  I did.  In those extreme hot and humid days the past weeks i foolishly was not hungry so not eating enough and drinking water but not enough.  I was dehydrated thus allowing 1 of my medications to attack my kidneys.  I have lupus, arthritis and hypothyroidism.    I was given fluids for 3 days before the kidney doctor would allow me to come home.  I had additional blood tests yesterday and I see my kidney doctor tomorrow.  I was immediately taken off the RX and with rehydration my kidneys hopefully will show improvement tomorrow.  The doctor said my getting help so quickly hopefully did no permanent damage and will allow my kidneys to improve.

I have not liked the fact that my medical records are on a  medical data base.  I have now changed my mind. These records allowed my hospital immediate access to my health history, my RX history and names of the professionals who care for me.   They knew this information before a person even appeared to verbally ask me the questions.  They did immediate blood tests and called the kidney doctor to get him involved.  My family and I appreciate  the speed and the concern shown by all.  I was a walk-in and drove myself there but they still moved quickly to give me priority.   I have been saying many prayers for those who are helping me and for a great outcome.  

Ladies please make sure you and all those you love stay hydrated with water.   Other liquids have their place but they do not replace water.  

@Gram W - so glad you are okay - it sneaks up on you doesn't it?  I had no idea as I regularly don't drink a lot of water.  But I think with my month long bladder infection in May and working so hard on my downstairs kitchen and laundry room, I have just forgotten to take care of myself.  One woman on here posted she didn't believe my posting - really?  Why would I post something that's not true?  Glad you are on the mend.  I stick with water - no soft drinks, no coffee, no tea.  Just good old water. 

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

It's really not a lot.

I go above the recommended '1/2'.

Between drinking a Liter upon waking (rehydrate from the night),

a Liter while moving/exercising, and another Liter sipping

throughout the day...that's almost 100oz. 

Key is...Urine Color.  

Should be color of light straw throughout the day. 

Respected Contributor

As a nurse, sometimes I have had to instruct patients with various issues to drink more water.  Think something like a urinary tract infection.  You explain how this actually helps treat the disorder.  You are very rational and the explanation makes sense.  You say it is part of the treatment, not just medication.  And you explain the potential complications of a urinary tract (bladder) infection.  Just as you get through with your very reasonable explanation they say "but I don't like to drink water."

Even though you KNOW they will feel better and that it is good for the urinary tract to be flushed well, they still say it.

You can lead the horses to water..................

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

DH thought he was having a heart attack and they called the EMT's, who promptly took him to the hospital.  Turned out to be the same thing, severe dehydation that caused a kidney injury.  After three urinalyses, he is judged OK.  So force those fluids, people !

Super Contributor

@Spurt Thanks so much, it can be scary, I will say whenever I feel even a slight pain in my lower back I get very nervous... could it happen again? I really need to drink more water. Everyone should take this very seriously. Reading this post just brings all that back, I was getting poked and stabbed so much and tests done for almost six weeks, I was in the docters office or hospital at least twice a week and sometimes three, it made me feel like a cancer patient and really made me appreciate my health once it was all over. I guess none of us know just want we will all go thru before we leave this earth and sometimes dont realize just how lucky we are.

Respected Contributor

I too have had issues with dehydration.  2 years ago I was feeling so lethargic, had palpitations and was crying uncontrollably.  My PCP ran a series of blood work and I was severely dehydrated, had a UTI and my parathyroid was out  of whack.  He admitted me and because I was so dehydrated, the nurse had a hard time starting an IV.  It's hospital policy that the nurse can try 3 times and a supervisor or a physician must insert the needle. 

The next morning, the nurse asked me if I was still having palpitations and told me I was in atrial fibrillation the entire night.  I am not on Eliquis and it continued for a few days.

I have always done my best to drink water.  I quit pop over 4 years ago as I have had issues with kidney stones so, I know what to drink and to keep hydrated. 

2 months ago I had my bi-annual blood work and my sodium level was a smidge off so....the nurse told me to drink lots of water and have my sodium level checked in 2 days.  It returned to normal.

So, stay hydrated one and all.  It can cause multiple problems to a person's metabolic profile.

Honored Contributor

@DarlingDino wrote:

@Spurt Thanks so much, it can be scary, I will say whenever I feel even a slight pain in my lower back I get very nervous... could it happen again? I really need to drink more water. Everyone should take this very seriously. Reading this post just brings all that back, I was getting poked and stabbed so much and tests done for almost six weeks, I was in the docters office or hospital at least twice a week and sometimes three, it made me feel like a cancer patient and really made me appreciate my health once it was all over. I guess none of us know just want we will all go thru before we leave this earth and sometimes dont realize just how lucky we are.

@DarlingDino

Yes we are blessed and the old saying is true, "when you have your health, you have everything."

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I find it hard to believe that your doctor said to drink 64 oz. of water per day.