Honored Contributor

Grazing or snacking -- whatever you want to call it --

I seem to be having a problem with eating -- at work!!  I have been having a hard time controlling myself and want to snack, graze or whatever you want to call it constantly or all day long!  I have been trying to figure out what my problem is and why I have been doing it lately.  I really believe it is because of anxiety and nerves.  

As many of you know who have read other posts I have written, I have an ongoing ankle problem and am unable to exercise.  I used to walk nearly every day at the mall on my lunch hour and this greatly helped me with my anxiety issues.  Now that I can no longer do it, I feel I am having a problem with dealing with my nerves and anxiety.  So, I have turned to snacking.  

What I am asking is, are there any very lo-cal things which I could throughout the day just snack on that would not cause me to gain a bunch of weight?  

I cannot eat chocoloate of any kind as it gives me migraines.  I find that if I don't bring things with me that are not as fattening that I will attack anything that is in our lunchroom and there are always things in there that I shouldn't be eating.  Cookies, candy, chips, etc.

I would appreciate your suggestions and help.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: Grazing or snacking -- whatever you want to call it --

I do best even at home if I have raw veggies clean and cut and ready for snacking.  Baby carrots are one of my first choices because they satisfy for sweetness and crunch, but I also add raw cauliflower and celery sticks or pea pods so that I don't overdose on the carrots.  When I was working, I almost always took a baggie of something so that I didn't automatically puck up the bagels or cookies or cakes we usually had lying in wait.

Sorry about that ankle - pain and no exercise are not at all fun.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1

How much water are you drinking a day?

Respected Contributor

I turn to apples. I am surprised I am not an apple for as many I eat. There are so many varieties to choose from so I went through  and picked out my favorite varieties - they are crunchy and sweet - so I guess they satisfy me.

Also - crackers. The PF fishies -the plain ones are my favorite. And, probably the least amount of salt of their varieties. I pour mine into a juice glass for portion control - if not, I will literally eat half the bag! And, Ritz crackers - they make them in the small rolls now for kids lunches, etc.  - perfect snack size, I think there's like 12 in the roll.

Salt if if nothing else is where I really watch it. I can retain water at a drop of a hat. I seriously think salt is evil, for me anyhow. The less I have, the better.

Oh, and I am a major  M&M lover too - so, those get poured into a juice glass too - because there is seriously no stopping me with those things... I could not survive without my chocolate. Well, yes I could - but, why..,😀.

I do hope any of things could work for you too. 

-Texas Hill Country-
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

You know what helps me?  First of all I made a rule for myself 30 years ago that I wouldn't eat anything in the lunchroom unless I brought it from home.  Secondly are you counting points or calories?  I find if you do this, you will keep yourself honest and see exactly what you are putting into your body.  Are you depressed that you can't exercise? I saw this with my husband.  When he was injured he snacked.  Also, there are other exercises you can do besides walking.  What about a good stretch class or yoga?  You don't have to do everything in the class, but it might make you feel better just going to one.  I also notice that when I count points I can still treat myself to a piece of chocolate during the day.  So when I see my coworkers grazing, I know that my treat is waiting for me at my desk. 

Respected Contributor

What about packing a small bag of nuts from home, as long as you don't have any peanut allergies. Yogurt, cottage cheese and some wheat or whole grain crackers. Just a few additional ideas. You could probably do some upper body exercises without it bothering your ankle.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For me, 1 oz. of nuts. Celery cut up but so that I can use a dip of the cow cheese or cheeses. Even a smidge of pnt btr. Cut up green peppers and cucumbers, or things on that line. Take peeled oranges in a zip lock or even a little lock and lock, apple slices, berries that sort of thing. Nuts are protein and should help to stick with you longer. HTH.

Valued Contributor

My go to snack is macadamia nuts. They're healthy, low carb, tasty and very filling.

You can get 10% of your daily fiber from 10-12 nuts. They are high in calories so don't over do but they are so filling you probably won't.

"The love you extend to others, will eventually find it's way back to you, no matter how many times it has left you hurt."
Respected Contributor

When I first saw the post title I thought this was a positive post.  This is what I call the way I eat.  Mostly.  Do your research and pick out your favorite foods that are high in fiber and protein.  I can't tell you exactly what to eat, because I don't know what you like.  For me, I eat one actual meal a day, mostly at lunch.  All my other eating are snack sizes.  I don't recommend this, but I could live off of fruit/vegetable smoothies, protein drinks, and protein bars.  It is easy to get carried away with eating too much if you don't keep junk food out of the mix.  That sugar causes cravings, and there is enough sugar in healthy prepared foods already without adding more.  What stops me in my tracks when I feel like I'm eating too much is eggs.  A boiled egg will stop me from snacking for hours.  Good luck. 

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@AngelPuppy1

How much water are you drinking a day?

Yes, I would bring a water bottle to work every day and see if that helps you replace some of the snack grabs with a water grab.

If you are snacking for something to do and not out of hunger, try gum.

I've been bringing baby carrots, celery, cherry tomatoes, and other veggies to work. Almonds are also good.

These 1-cup Lock & Lock containers are great to fill with veggies to snack on: 

Lock & Lock 10pc Multi-Color Mini Zen Storage Set - K43323