Respected Contributor

@Luvsmyfam    YOU CAN DO IT.   I haven't had a shot in a long while and I remember they sometimes do pinch a little,  but it's just TEMPORARY and certainly better than not getting one at all.  Close your eyes and think of something else ...  maybe a treat that you give yourself for going through something that you fear.   In the big scheme of things the shot is seconds ....  SECONDS,  and in the end it's going to make you more comfortable and once your filling is in,  you'll be HAPPY you did it.   

I know so many people who have the same concern as you.....   the time it takes is a blip on the radar.... YOU CAN DO IT!   Let us know how it goes ...

Remember our posts and take them with you.  WE ARE ALL BEHIND YOU.

Esteemed Contributor

@Luvsmyfam 

@Luvsmyfam wrote:

tomorrow I have to have a filling replaced.im so terrified of shots.about 3 weeks ago,I had a tooth pulled.i actually pd extra to be put to sleep.of course I can't do it for this.so,do I get a numbing gel first before shot?it has been forever since I've had a replacement filling.any info on this wouldI be appreciated.

I just had filling front tooth, no numbing.  My Dentist said just old filling gone, just needs to be filled, you won't feel anything and he was right.

I also spent three hours in chair last Dec. fitting for bridge, two crowns, root canel and a post. He gave me local and didn't even feel that.  He is a great dentist.

One filling is nothing.

Honored Contributor

Instead of being in tune with everything going on in the treatment room, I go to somewhere I like in my mind.  I  play music in my mind and create beautiful scenery.

You may have had an issue when you were younger.  You are now able to reason your way out if issues.

Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam wrote:

tomorrow I have to have a filling replaced.im so terrified of shots.about 3 weeks ago,I had a tooth pulled.i actually pd extra to be put to sleep.of course I can't do it for this.so,do I get a numbing gel first before shot?it has been forever since I've had a replacement filling.any info on this would be appreciated.

@Luvsmyfam 

I am very sorry you feel this way but many of us do.  I don't like the shots but they hurt very little and for such a short period of time that it seems the worry is about nothing once it is over.  I hope you will take a Valium before you go to calm your fears.  I keep a tranquilier on hand.  My doctor knows me.  He knows how I fear dentists.  I have an awful lot of dental work done, which I will not go into but I fear the dentist (although I have a brother dentist) like I fear a rattlesnake and when it's over, I wonder why did I fear that.  But my doctor still gives me about 6 Valium each January checku for the dental or possible dental visits and if they exceed that number, he will give me more.  

Respected Contributor

I feel for you @Luvsmyfam . I have had a lifelong anxiety regarding dentists and shots as well. Hope it goes well for you.

Respected Contributor

thank you for nice response.yes after getting Xtra numbing gel and 2 shots,I didn't feel a thing.but because of extra numbing,I bit my cheek.all day it hurt.guess I deserved that.

Respected Contributor

thank you kkj for your kindness.i appreciate it

Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam 

Am glad your filling is behind you now, and that your dentist put forth a little extra effort to make you comfortable.  Hopefully that will stay in your mind and make it easier for you next time.   

I had to have a lot of fillings as a child, and then root canals in my late teens and early 20's.  All of that work set in stone my feelings about going to the dentist!   In fact, I have made the comment several times that I'd rather clean a public bathroom than go to the dentist!   I don't have a fear of the dentist or the procedures.  

Thankfully I have a great dentist of nearly 35 years who is very accommodating to the different feelings of his patients, and because of him, and his staff, I keep all of my appts and do my best to take care of my teeth.   

I have limited my fears in life to 2 things; snakebite and water.

Esteemed Contributor
Trust me shots to numb your mouth don’t hurt unless they have to give it to you in the roof of your mouth. They will rub a numbing agent in before giving it to you. I had a entire bridge done and had like 3 shots that day The endure thing was painless.
Respected Contributor

thank you red top.i appreciate your feedback.it is always nice getting pleasant feedback,instead of sarcasm