Super Contributor

I agree. Needles have terrified me for years. I developed an illness which got me a lot of shots and IV's and I still get nervous. 9 times out of 10 I worry for nothing. Just ask for numbing first and it will be done and over before you know it. I always just close my eyes. Take care and I feel for ya! 

Respected Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Time to put your big girl pants on............were you the scared poster last week.?

Last week I had oral surgery - tooth snapped off at the gum line - root still there.

3 needle shots hardly felt - root removed and I walked out and drove home.  Today

stitches removed.

Sorry - you get no sympathy from me ....for a tooth

Was  there a reason to be so snotty , lack of a better word , a lot of people have different fears , there was no reason to try to diminish hers.

Respected Contributor

It will cost extra but you can have "happy" gas before you are given the Novocaine.

Contributor

I don't know whether this will help or not, but I've never looked at the needle when I have to have a shot...I just ask if they will let me know when it's going to happen and I close my eyes.  Good luck...it will be over before you know it.

Respected Contributor

@Luvsmyfam   I've had tons of dental work and also donate blood quite a lot and shots don't seem to bother me anymore, but whenever I know there is something uncomfortable or painful coming (like a shot could be), I curl my toes as hard as I can, and that is all I can feel during the injection.  I wouldn't tense up my entire body, just put my thoughts into what I feel in my feet/toes.

Sounds ridiculous, but works for me.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

@CAcableGirl2  I'm laughing because I do something to distract myself. I take my thumb and hold on to the other thumb really tight. I never thought about doing it until I read about your toe thing. Funny.

Honored Contributor

Whoever said dentist are painless either has a high threshold for pain or doesn't get much work done.  Any time I get something done besides a simple cleaning, pain is involved.  My dentist doesn't have Mr. Nose, but I only find it relaxes me, but doesn't make the shot any less painful. 

He does put a numbing agent on a cotton swab and let that sit in my mouth for several minutes before the shot.  Then as someone else mentioned, he usually does a shaking thing during the shot which is also somehow supposed to help.  But, the actual shot is usually more than one shot and takes more than just a second.  It takes more like 30 to 45 seconds each during which I am all tensed up with my hands clasped around each other.  It is not just the fear of the shot, there is pain for me. He can tell because he usually says something like "You're doing good" which is kinda like code for hang in there.

For a simple filling replacement it might only be one shot.  Most of my dental work lately has been crowns, either a replacement of an old crown or a crown that broke off.

Trusted Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Time to put your big girl pants on............were you the scared poster last week.?

Last week I had oral surgery - tooth snapped off at the gum line - root still there.

3 needle shots hardly felt - root removed and I walked out and drove home.  Today

stitches removed.

A little sympathy and empathy for someone who is genuinly afraid of shots would be generous here. Most contributors come on the boards for help or advice.Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@MW in Iowa wrote:

@fthunt wrote:

stitches removed.

Was  there a reason to be so snotty , lack of a better word , a lot of people have different fears , there was no reason to try to diminish hers.

I agree...we all have different fears, and some time there isn't a rational reason for it.  I have a weird fear of "calling" to make appointments for medical things.  I'm not overly afraid of procedures or (mild) pain, but I get SO anxious when I have to call to schedule a visit.  I physically feel the anxiety.

It happened the other day when I had to call for two eye appointments.  Now the appointments are made, I'll follow through and do whatever I have to do and I won't ACT like a big baby.  I don't know why the calling is so difficuilt.  I worked in a government agency for over 25 years and I had to make all sorts of calls constantly. Now I get nervous when I have to call anyone, particularly health professionals.

So, my point is we all have some things that just cause fear.  No need to be so judgemental.

Esteemed Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

stitches removed.

I'm sorry,  but this is rude. Some people have dental and injection phobia. It's real. Let's show a little more empathy.