Contributor

Just been prescribed generic fosamax (alendronate sodium 70 mg) and have been reading up on it and found mostly negative reviews.  I am going to contact my doctor to further discuss this, but would appreciate any feedback (good or bad). Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Can we ask if you have osteoporosis or osteopenia?? i have had had osteopenia for the last 18 years but it remains fairly stable, so I have never taken or been prescribed any of these kinds of drugs. From what I understand, many women now are getting infusions rather than taking any pills.  

Contributor

Last scan showed I went from osteopenis to osteoporosis especially in the left hip area.

Esteemed Contributor

@pattyc 

My encrinologist prescribed this about a year ago after a bone scan.  

It was once weekly, but after a month, I was in such terrible pain, I wasn't sleeping at night.  The pain was centered in my hips and was so bad I could not sleep on either side.  It was deep and relentless.

Told her I don't care what the scan showed, I wasn't taking it ever again.

I was a runner for MANY years, I now spin and do light resistance training.  If that is not enough, I'll just have to live with it.

Seems many of these meds are problematic.

Contributor

@pattyc, three of my sisters and I have been prescribed aledontronate for osteopenia or osteoporosis. One had a negative reaction (muscle spasms in her legs at night - she now gets shots every 6 months), but the rest of us have had no problems.

I can't speak for the results for my other two sisters, but I've taken it for 4 years for osteopenia, and two bone density tests show a slight improvement on my hips. My doctor is pleased with the results and wants me to continue taking it weekly, which I will do.

Esteemed Contributor

After taking Fosamax I learned I can never have tooth implants even after 1 pill. I hope I don't need them!

Frequent Contributor

I've been taking this for many years.  I've had no side effects.  I think my insurance always goes for a generics.

Contributor

Thanks for all your replies!  Between the positive replys and talking to doctor, have decided to try it and as doctor said if it causes problems will revisit.

Super Contributor

I take the genetic for Bonita....its a once a month pill....at first I had aches and pains ....in time .....it passed.my body adjusted......my last bone density showed improvement....

Honored Contributor

Many years ago, I was diagnosed with osteoporosis.  I took the Fosamax for a few short months and my stomach couldn't handle it. I haven't had a dexa scan recently but my last one ( probably about 4 yrs. ago) showed my numbers had not gotten any worse.  I am 71. Had I continued it, I believe I would have ended up with an ulcer.