Respected Contributor

Finding New Meaning

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this post. I wanted to begin a conversation about what has helped me to finally shift my attention from acquiring material items for the sake of to finding new meaning, purpose and utility from other more healthier sources.

First of all, I'll state that I've been going through a very difficult time trying to have a baby since 2015. That struggle definitely was a main reason why my shopping got really out of hand since then. However, Since September of last year, I was able to make significant change.

I began to change my mindset little by little. I am a lover of beautiful things mostly jewelry, handbags and outerwear. It was hard for me to say no to acquiring just 'one more' because my thinking was of how that item would increase my happiness and therefore I justified the expenditure. However, it was never 'just one more' but many more.

I began to focus on how my spending was making other people rich and myself poorer. I began to focus on how having more savings would allow me to really do and have the things that I dream of and therefore would in the long run bring me true happiness. Things such as being able to travel to places I dream of or take more cruises. Buying the house of my dreams. Relocate to a place I'd rather live. Help others. Importantly, how increased savings would empower me as a woman and a person.

~Live with Intention~
Respected Contributor

Re: Finding New Meaning

[ Edited ]

Significantly, in tandem to this change of mindset was my a renewed focus on my health. I began to eat healthier by consuming less and less red meat and more vegetables, fruit and whole grains. Since I was shopping less, I was able to finally invest in a Vitamix. I also began to cook with more interest and pride in becoming a better cook. 

I began to exercise every day in earnest. I began with power yoga and I just bought a stationary exercise bike which I love to use each day. I drink more water. I also began to meditate every day using the Headspace app. This has helped me to train to control my thoughts so I can find peace, motivation and to have better interpersonal relationships. 

Now, when I think of buying anything, I actually find joy in not going through with the purchase if it's not something that I really need or want. I weigh and think about how that purchase will add value to my life, how it will just add clutter to my apt and how I can really live without it. Seeing my bank account go up by simply being mindful of what I spend money on has been life changing.  When we are in the fog of spending we minimize how much money we just kind of throw away. Yet, when you stop, the impact is immediate. 

Sorry this is so long. I truly hope that my experience and how I overcame mindless shopping can really help many of you as well. The important thing is to realize change happens a little at a time. Whenever I do make the decision to indulge, it's in something that really adds meaning and is worth the expense and all the energy and time that making that purchase takes. It's not only money but time out of our lives that we expend buying things that don't really make us happy. Using that time, effort and capital to achieve the things that you really want and need, I find is what leads to increased happiness and well being.

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

@NycVixen  Life is a journey, a process.    We all move through life, setting and re-setting our priorities.    I enjoyed reading your posts and wish you well in your continued journey

Valued Contributor

@NycVixen, it is so empowering to find what  life is about...It often takes a struggle to open our eyes ,hearts and minds.Peace of mind is priceless.I often look at expensive things by saying how much physically is sacraficed to earn  that money, mine  or my husbands.Would i rather have that time or that trinket?I have  a feeling life will fall into place the way it should  in lifes time frame not ours..Good luck, peace and happiness....Hugs , Maryanne 

Honored Contributor

Image result for life is pics

Honored Contributor

It all begins with your first step. You're on your way, good luck, you're doing good.

Honored Contributor

I found "new meaning" when I had to retire from my loved career. Disability has taken me to much different place in life that I never would have expected in a million years. At one point I thought I had it all. Now I couldn't care less about what my money can or can't buy. I have found true happiness in simplifying my life...all aspects of it.  When I was much younger healthy person, my mother told me you don't have anything unless you have your health first....so true. 

Honored Contributor

@NycVixen

Sounds like you're in a really good space!

Stay strong...and focused.

Look forward to your future posts. 

👍🌼

Esteemed Contributor

You are so right, not sure of your age, but you seem very mature and intuitive.

Many years ago, I was diagnosed with a very serious health issue. Had to quit my job, and had two major surgeries, and just knowing that we had money in our savings account was priceless.

Money isn't everything, but the piece of mind it can bring, is worth a million in my opinion.

Not that I'd know. I don't have a million Smiley Happy

Anyway, my best to you.

Honored Contributor

@NycVixen Such a beautifully written thread and some wonderful contributions.

I had my second heart attack thirteen days ago. All that was important to me while I reviewed my life was my family and friends and things were the last on my list of importance. Cultivate good friendships, let the people you love know it. Tomorrow is never promised and material possessions really take a back seat in the scheme of things...