Super Contributor

Has anyone taken the flu shot and had a reaction? This is the first time ever in my life that I have taken the flu shot and had such a strong reaction I landed in the ER the other night.

I had my shot at 2 pm and by 5 pm had severe chills ....joint pains...terrible headache and nausea. AS the evening progressed I developed a cough and then a rapid heartbeat at which time my husband and I headed for the ER. I might add I am 72 and the shot that was recommended was the stronger one.

After numerous tests it was determined I did not have the flu....just severe reaction.

Just wondering if anyone else out there may have had the same experience. I am quite leery of ever taking one again !

Respected Contributor

I am sorry that you had such a swift and bad reaction. What you experienced has happened to others. You are not alone.

Here's something from Sharyl Attkisson, a former CBS news reporter:

http://sharylattkisson.com/govt-researchers-flu-shots-not-effective-in-elderly-after-all

You are very lucky you recovered from your reaction. Some people don't.

Here is a package insert for one of the high dose flu shots to read. I am not sure if this particular vaccine is the one you received, however.

I wish you the best, and hope you feel 100% better very soon. All of us are different. Some of us can tolerate certain medications and vaccines, and others of us cannot.

Esteemed Contributor

Nana, I am paranoid about getting flu shots for that very reason! They offer them at work, and every year, I go back and forth until flu season is over and it's too late.

On the other hand, my Mom gets them every year and has no side effects.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

I've been getting flu vaccine my whole life. Once in a great while I'll feel a little achy for a couple of hours. Nothing like you describe. I've never heard of someone getting so ill. Clearly, they should not be giving you the stronger shot. Hope all is well now.

Respected Contributor

I hope you feel better soon.

I had heard that the high dose was more likely to have adverse effects from the pharmacist. I got the regular, my husband the high dose. We were both fine.

So what are you going to do in the future?

Honored Contributor
What you experienced is not at all uncommon. Reactions vary from redness and swelling at injection site to the highest level that sent you to the ER. These higher level reactions are why so many people think they get the flu from the shot.
Respected Contributor

I have a mild allergy to eggs, which I did not know years ago. In the late 1960's I had a flu shot, which they gave me on the inside of my lower arm. The arm swelled to about three times its normal size and I was hospitalized for a couple of days. Turns out the flu shot is grown on an egg, and that was the problem. I've never had another and don't intend to do so. I have not had flu in all these years.

One bonus daughter in her late 60's gets the flu shot every year, and always gets ill for a few days afterwards. No idea why, but I wonder why she keeps on getting the shot.

Respected Contributor

I get mild reactions with the regular flu shot. Usually feel like I am coming down with a cold for a few days and a slightly sore arm. Nothing serious.

I will not ever take the senior shot because of the severe reactions some people have - some posted on these boards. It is a roll of the dice I am not willing to take.

Esteemed Contributor
OMG, I am 78 and the same thing happen to me, every symptom you had.. I live alone and really got scared. I had ice packs on my head and the back of my neck. Took more than the recommended amount of EXCERDRIN. I went to the DR. Office and he said it was a reaction of the stronger dose they are giving seniors' I know Seniors are not valued in this country, but let's not kill us off with a flu shot. IN 13 YEARS OF GETTING FLU SHOTS, NEVER HAD A REACTION BEFORE LIKE THIS. . Next year, I just want the regular Shot. If I DIDN,t volunteer so much, I would not get it. I got so sick from one in my 20,s, I never got another until I was 65, then no reaction until this year.
Esteemed Contributor

I've been getting flu shots for years with no more reaction than a sore arm.

This year, I got the higher dose and while I did not get a reaction like you described, I was dizzy for a period immediately after and really felt out of sorts for the rest of the day. I assumed that was due to getting the higher dose shot.

Hope you are feeling better soon.