Honored Contributor

I'm running in a Turkey Trot...Any Tips?

There is an 8K Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning in my city. 14,000 runners participate. It runs right by my house.

I measured the distance from the start of the race to my front door...it's 3.5 miles. For many years I wanted to be out there - but to end it at home.

I just did my first 5K in the Adirondacks in October. It was uphill halfway and I struggled - it took 45 minutes to complete.

My son is going to drop me off at the start (or I might take the bus) and I'll end at my house.

Any advice for how to prepare??? What to run in the last 10 days of training...TIA!

Respected Contributor

Re: I'm running in a Turkey Trot...Any Tips?

I have no advice ...only good wishes for a good,safe,and fun run!!! I am a walk/runner but more walking..lol. Happy Thanksgiving
Respected Contributor

Hi Terrier

This is awesome. I ran a 5K this morning (Veterans Day Blue Star Mom fund raiser). They say you should never run the full distance of your run prior to your race the crowd will get you through it.

On my training runs, I try and not run they day before my race but the week before I run about 3 times at shorter distances just to keep my breathing in check. If you need to walk part of it, by all means, do it. It is a great accomplishment to just get out there. I am running a 10K Turkey Trot that morning.

I have run lots of 5Ks and a 5 miler and I run further distances myself on the weekends but Thanksgiving will be my first race at that distance. Most important have fun and enjoy the run and the people around you.

Deb

Esteemed Contributor

No advice, terrier, just the very best wishes!

You are a true motivation for me!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

Are you thinking to just run the 3.5 miles from the starting line to your house? Sometimes the finish line is fun - music, food, camaraderie, pictures. Just ran a 15k in Chicago this morning (The Hot Chocolate). After the chocolate snacks, we go for Bloody Mary's. I think you can handle the 8k, just shuffle the last 3k! Good luck!
Honored Contributor

Stay away from hunters.

Honored Contributor

On 11/9/2014 scatcat said: Are you thinking to just run the 3.5 miles from the starting line to your house? Sometimes the finish line is fun - music, food, camaraderie, pictures. Just ran a 15k in Chicago this morning (The Hot Chocolate). After the chocolate snacks, we go for Bloody Mary's. I think you can handle the 8k, just shuffle the last 3k! Good luck!

Yes, I'm just running home...my neighbors will be waiting for me.

14,000 people makes for one BIG party...I'll celebrate Thanksgiving with my family later!

Respected Contributor

Sounds like the perfect race with the perfect finish line! Have fun
Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like SO much fun. I think it sounds like you will do just fine. Just walk when you need to and run when you can. It will be great. As someone else said, the crowd cheering and other participants will get you to your goal.

PS - Never compete with anyone else, only yourself. I never worry about finish time or other runners/walkers when I do these. I just want to have fun.

Esteemed Contributor

She'll do fine! My bet is that she will have both feet off the ground the entire time

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.