Frequent Contributor

I had the same problem. I never took the flu shot until the last couple of years. I am terribly allergic to booster shots. I had the shingles shot last year after having shingles. My arm was huge!!!!!!!!!!!! The doctor came out said to come back tomorrow, but I didn't. It went away in about 10 days. When I had shingles I went to doctor and got the medicine needed, but calamine lotion helped with the pain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Respected Contributor

People are still getting flu shots? For what? If you're gonna "get" the flu, you're gonna get it. Shot or no shot.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Super Contributor
On 11/7/2014 rina33 said:

People are still getting flu shots? For what? If you're gonna "get" the flu, you're gonna get it. Shot or no shot.

Like the shingles vaccination, it not only reduces the likelihood of you getting flu or shingles in the first place, it also reduces the severity if you do get either. No one ever claimed they totally stop you getting ill. Getting a lot less ill seems like a great idea to me.

Trusted Contributor

For those who got the senior shot, did your doctor discuss the options with you? I just turned 65 and got the flu shop at Wahlgreens and they didn't even mention the senior shot. Now I'm glad they didn't. My 90 year old mom got the senior shot with no problems but then she's in excellent health.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Honored Contributor

I no longer get the flu shots ........... seems like every time I got one, that would always be the years I was really sick months later. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

I also live in California and the flu rates aren't as high here ...... and don't have any human petrie dishes, more commonly known as kids in school. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Esteemed Contributor

I was not told until I went to my Dr. that is what they did. He did not give it too me, our HMO has days to go get it and the person giving it said nothing. They told my friend.

I am in excellent health also, but got a reaction.

Esteemed Contributor
This is scary news to me as I have gotten flu shots every year because of a chronic illness. The other night on the Nancy Grace show she reported on a little girl in Florida that is paralyzed due to the flu shot. Between your story and this story I'm growing weary about getting it this year.
Honored Contributor

It was a coincidence, you were going to get sick anyway. I find it astounding that people don't seem to know what the flu is. Astounding. Every cough, cold, upper respiratory infection is NOT influenza. And flu shots can't prevent those. So, if you were coming down with cold and just happened to get your flu shot a day or two before the cold symptoms hit you; that isn't a flu shot complication. The most common complication is a sore arm that can last 2 or 3 days. Rarely, very rarely; a person will have a MILD flu like symptoms after a flu shot. It lasts a day or two. But all those "I got so sick" stories that go round and round are grossly exaggerated or people tell them because they think they have to justify their decision not to have one. I'm not sure why they think they have to come up with a reason for not getting flu shots. It's a choice. This post made me laugh because last Friday, we got our mandatory flu shots at work. We have no choice, get the shot or they terminate your employment. I bumped into one of the docs I work with this morning, he was hobbling in with a cast on his foot and a cane. I was about to ask what happened and he said "Don't ask, I always get sick after I get a flu shot". The whole elevator burst out laughing.......because we here that line a thousand times every winter.

Super Contributor

Yes, I had a very severe reaction about seven years ago. I was allergic to nothing they asked about, yet it still happened. I experienced breathing difficulties and had huge welts all over.

The doctor's office told me to take Benadryl and use Calamine on the welts. Neither did anything to help! After 12 hours of suffering, I went to the ER. They hooked me to an IV drip of Prednisone and within 30 minutes, my symptoms were gone. But I was pretty worse for the wear and wish I had gone to the ER much sooner.

I have not taken a flu shot since and no doctor will assume the risk of giving it to me after that mysterious reaction.

Respected Contributor
On 11/7/2014 chrystaltree said:

It was a coincidence, you were going to get sick anyway. I find it astounding that people don't seem to know what the flu is. Astounding. Every cough, cold, upper respiratory infection is NOT influenza. And flu shots can't prevent those. So, if you were coming down with cold and just happened to get your flu shot a day or two before the cold symptoms hit you; that isn't a flu shot complication. The most common complication is a sore arm that can last 2 or 3 days. Rarely, very rarely; a person will have a MILD flu like symptoms after a flu shot. It lasts a day or two. But all those "I got so sick" stories that go round and round are grossly exaggerated or people tell them because they think they have to justify their decision not to have one. I'm not sure why they think they have to come up with a reason for not getting flu shots. It's a choice. This post made me laugh because last Friday, we got our mandatory flu shots at work. We have no choice, get the shot or they terminate your employment. I bumped into one of the docs I work with this morning, he was hobbling in with a cast on his foot and a cane. I was about to ask what happened and he said "Don't ask, I always get sick after I get a flu shot". The whole elevator burst out laughing.......because we here that line a thousand times every winter.

Really....& you know this how??? It's nice how you're basically disregarding the horror stories here. I'm sure there are many "studies" to back your claims....funded by the pharm companies who provide the vacs, lol.