Respected Contributor

Amen, Goldenretriever, ITA with you. I don't find it funny at all that the OP ended up in the ER with a rapid heartbeat. Nana's post sure didn't make me laugh.

Everyone else is wrong and mistaken about their own, personal, physical reaction to a flu shot? That's quite the statement.

Respected Contributor

qvcaddition was told by a doctor that her symptoms were a reaction to the senior flu shot. So this is a medical diagnosis, not a horror story.

ETA: OP, NanaS was also diagnosed at the ER with a bad reaction to her flu shot. Again, a medical diagnosis. Not a coincidence or made up drama.

Esteemed Contributor

I get the flu shot every year and have always had the reaction of a mild headache. I was going to get the senior flu shot, but heard a couple of stories of strong reactions. I get a severe reaction to many antibiotics and though I know they are not in the the same genre of medicines, decided against it. Got the regular flu shot this year...next year may decide for the senior type.

Super Contributor
On 11/7/2014 goldenretriever said:
On 11/7/2014 chrystaltree said:

It was a coincidence, you were going to get sick anyway. I find it astounding that people don't seem to know what the flu is. Astounding. Every cough, cold, upper respiratory infection is NOT influenza. And flu shots can't prevent those. So, if you were coming down with cold and just happened to get your flu shot a day or two before the cold symptoms hit you; that isn't a flu shot complication. The most common complication is a sore arm that can last 2 or 3 days. Rarely, very rarely; a person will have a MILD flu like symptoms after a flu shot. It lasts a day or two. But all those "I got so sick" stories that go round and round are grossly exaggerated or people tell them because they think they have to justify their decision not to have one. I'm not sure why they think they have to come up with a reason for not getting flu shots. It's a choice. This post made me laugh because last Friday, we got our mandatory flu shots at work. We have no choice, get the shot or they terminate your employment. I bumped into one of the docs I work with this morning, he was hobbling in with a cast on his foot and a cane. I was about to ask what happened and he said "Don't ask, I always get sick after I get a flu shot". The whole elevator burst out laughing.......because we here that line a thousand times every winter.

Really....& you know this how??? It's nice how you're basically disregarding the horror stories here. I'm sure there are many "studies" to back your claims....funded by the pharm companies who provide the vacs, lol.

Goldenretriever.....don't you know all doctors and nurses know absolutely everything and are infallible?....Which is why there is no cure for the common cold, the flu, cancer, AIDS, ALS, MD, and so on, and so on........Sheesh! I never get sick...ever...until I get a flu shot, regardless of how healthy I was and when I get it. The flu shot also precipitates a herpes outbreak in me every time (thank you first husband). Even if I have not had an outbreak in an entire year. But, I am sure all the know-it-all nurses will come in here and contradict me. I used to think nurses were far smarter than doctors. I would always ask for an NP over a doc if I could. Seems the nurses are getting brainwashed now too though. Well, fire away ladies, but don't expect me to argue with you about MY personal, repeated experiences.
Honored Contributor

It's true that a small number of people can have adverse effects from anything, and I don't think it's fair or kind to discount the experiences related by other posters. We hear more from those who had a bad experience, however, than from those who get the vaccine every year with no ill effects. In the same way, those who have complaints about any product, business, or service are far more likely to be vocal than those who had no problems. It's human nature.

Also, I agree it's important for everyone to educate themselves about possible side effects of the vaccine and also about what a true influenza is. I have to agree, from working in the medical community, there's a lot of misunderstanding and often a cold, allergy, or even gastrointestinal problem will be called "the flu."

(btw: There is a flu vaccine for those with egg allergies.)Smile

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor
Do your research, consult with your physician, make a decision and move on. That's really all anyone can do. There's no way to predict 100% if you will have side - effects or not. Go with the odds, listen to your doctor, and know that God will be there through anything, especially in bad times. -HIF
Super Contributor
On 11/7/2014 ANewHue said: This is scary news to me as I have gotten flu shots every year because of a chronic illness. The other night on the Nancy Grace show she reported on a little girl in Florida that is paralyzed due to the flu shot. Between your story and this story I'm growing weary about getting it this year.

"The other night on the Nancy Grace show she reported on a little girl in Florida that is paralyzed, allegedly due to the flu shot".

^ Fixed it for you.

Just because the mom claims the flu shot caused the ADEM in her daughter, does not make it actually so. Nor does Nancy Grace reporting on it. Like chrystaltree's story about the doctor with his leg in a plaster cast after a flu shot, not all medical events are cause and effect.

Valued Contributor

I am 67 an this is the second year I got the bigger dose for Senior citizens. Last year ...no problem excedpt for the usual red circle on my arm at the injection site. This year, I had the usual big red circle on my arm at the injection site, but it was hot this time and stayed red and sore longer. Then...so bizarre....the skin on my arm (the injection site circle) began to peel off. Like a really bad sunburn! So bizarre!

Super Contributor

chrystaltree--sounds like you work in the medical profession as do I. Do you even know what the ingredients are in a flu shot? Have you bothered to research that or do you just get it because you are required to, no questions asked? As an educated and health conscious person, I have researched the flu shot. The flu shot contains mercury (also present in the preservative free version just in a smaller dose), formaldahyde (a know carcinogen used to embalm those who have past) , aluminum ( a metal used to stimulate the immune response) as well as antibiotics, latex, egg product and gelatine from bone marrow.To get the flu shot or not is a personal choice. People are responsible for their own health and their choices. Any immunization can trigger the immune system in a less than positive way. Dormant things in the body can be awakened such as guillian barrett syndrome which is life threatening. And yes I have seen this happen. Although rare, it does happen and it is quit debilitating. There are documented reactions such as encephalopathy, wheezing, increased heart rate, fever, muscle aches and pains, as well as localized injection site pain and swelling. There are studies linking the shot to dementia. With a flu shot every year all those "trace preservatives" add up. That poor child received the shot and is now paralyzed. Yes the side effects are not common but are you willing to take that chance? No, I am not bashing immunizations or the flu shot. For certain populations like the chronically ill, immune compromised, or elderly people living in a group setting it is recommended. But again, I feel it is every persons responsibility to research and decide if it is best for them. I eat well, exercise religiously and get sufficient and quality sleep. I do not pick my nose or bite my fingernails. I am religious about washing my hands. I know this does not completely protect me. I trust my body. The immune system is a miraculous thing. I am required by my employer to wear a mask while at work to protect our patients and visitors from me because I am not vaccinated from the flu. Funny thing is, the vaccine is only 60% effective as per the vaccine manufacturer. As low as 15% effective in other independent studies. Also, if the strain the manufacturers have predicted is not correct, there goes that! JUST SAYING you should not downplay peoples experiences. They are real and significant to those who experience them.

Respected Contributor

I've gotten flu shots for years and never had a bad reaction but, after reading of some reactions from the stronger dose they recommend for seniors, I've always refused that one and still get only the lower dose, and after reading what you went through, I"m glad I did. Hope you feel better soon!