Honored Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

@89135 wrote:

Has anyone had this done lately?  I'm sure I need this done and dont do well with pain and am terrified of going to dentists..Sadly, it's been awhile since I've been. Have you used anesthesia and if so what kind..local or general...? thx

I had not been to the dentist for 28 years. I recently had a regular teeth cleaning and then two other appointments for 1/2 of the mouth deep cleanng each.  I belueve i only had topical pain numbing. I did not have shots. I only felt a sharp pain once. I was surprised how magnificent the hygenist is. I wiish you could go to her. 

28 years???? Seriously??? This just doesn't seem possible to me! I get my teeth cleaned every 6 months and by the time my next cleaning comes up I can't wait to get in there because my teeth feel so disgusting! I just can't imagine the shape of my mouth if I waited 28 years!!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Re: Dental Deep Cleaning

[ Edited ]

@ID2 wrote:

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

@89135 wrote:

Has anyone had this done lately?  I'm sure I need this done and dont do well with pain and am terrified of going to dentists..Sadly, it's been awhile since I've been. Have you used anesthesia and if so what kind..local or general...? thx

I had not been to the dentist for 28 years. I recently had a regular teeth cleaning and then two other appointments for 1/2 of the mouth deep cleanng each.  I belueve i only had topical pain numbing. I did not have shots. I only felt a sharp pain once. I was surprised how magnificent the hygenist is. I wiish you could go to her. 

28 years???? Seriously??? This just doesn't seem possible to me! I get my teeth cleaned every 6 months and by the time my next cleaning comes up I can't wait to get in there because my teeth feel so disgusting! I just can't imagine the shape of my mouth if I waited 28 years!!

I went to a dentist a few years ago to have them look at my teeth and gums because I have scleroderma and that can cause some issues. But before that I have not needed any dental work at all. I had all of my teeth, including all four wisdoms, and none of my teeth ever had a filling or nothing else...perfect teeth. I had not gone to a dentist in over 18 years because I have no need for dental work. The only reason I went was because my rheumatologist suggested I see a dentist because of my scleroderma. I did go to a dentist and they were shocked at how clean my teeth were but they told me there were some pockets that needed deep cleaning. I did have the deep cleaning and that's when my problems all started...five teeth fell out for no reason and more are getting loose and those will need to be extracted!  Now my dentist won't do any more deep cleaning on my teeth. I am so upset that I even went to have the deep cleaning done in the first place! 

Super Contributor

@SilleeMee   Oh great..now something else to worry about....I do have a couple that are a tad loose now so guess I will have to think twice..thx for your experience..I did however think of that..

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@89135 

None of my teeth were loose until after the deep cleaning. There's a thing called dental ligament. That's what helps keep the tooth attached to the bone. It's made of cartilage (connective tissue) and it doesn't grow back if it is damaged from disease or trauma, both of which caused my teeth to get loose and fall out. Most people have no problem with deep cleanings and it really is beneficial to get it done...it can prevent tooth loss in most instances. My case is not common but it can happen...dental ligaments can get damaged during deep cleaning.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cantdrive55 wrote:

@89135 @If you haven't been to the dentist in a while, you will be really surprised & delighted at how different things are now. They do not want you to be in any pain, and will frequently pause to check in with you to make sure you are doing okay.

As other posters have mentioned, the topical anesthesia is fantastic; it is applied just prior to the section that is going to be worked on, with no needles, or downtime waiting for it to take effect, or numbing of your tongue, lips or face like with novacaine.

If, by deep cleaning you mean scaling & root planing, the dentist might schedule 2-4 appointments, and do the cleaning by uppers & lowers or quadrants if that would more comfortable for you.

I am posting to encourage you to go. There is so much now that can be done to help us get & keep our teeth healthy Our dental health is very important to our overall health. And, it's self care- you'll feel so much better!

@cantdrive55   I want your dentist.  I have never heard of such.  I have trigeminal neuralgia and I have to wait until I am not in an acute phase to go.  I have tried 12 dentists in the past 10 years because I go 4 times per year for cleanings and none of them as nice as yours.  I get Prolia injections and have the TN so I have to be sure I am kept lean and clean.  I never heard of deep cleaning either.  What is that.  I now go to a teaching university since they are more familiar with TN than most dentists and yet I never heard either mention "deep cleaning."  My hygienist always says my teeth are in great shape.  I think she just says that to keep me coming back.  

I have lost crowns and fillings during cleaning, which they swore was not their fault and I had to pay for their replacements.  Also, I had MRIs and my implants came out.  I was told a lot of this is due to Prolia, but some of this happened before that.

Super Contributor

@SilleeMee  Well I am going to make an appt for a consultation...gotta take this slow ;-) and I will see what he says..Its a new dentist and havent been to him before but trust me, I did alot of research on him and seems to be the best..hopefully !

Regular Contributor

I just get a cleaning every six months. I DO want to say, using an electric toothbrush has changed my life. Also, along with flossing, I've started using a water pic. It really gets in between the teeth and works on the gums. I have an Oral B electric toothbrush.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I had it done a couple of years ago. They did it in 4 visits. Each visit involved one quad section of teeth. They gave me a shot of Novocaine, or two maybe, in my gums. Then they scraped and also used an ultrasonic cleaning device to blast away stuff below the gum line. I could feel the ultrasoundicon_eek.gif...it was a zinger and very uncomfortable. I was glad when it was all over.

@SilleeMee  This is what I had (quadrant deep cleanings).  I went to a sedation dentist to have the original deep scalings and they did it in two visits - they divided my mouth down the middle and did the work on one whole side at a time.  

Mine were done two different ways - first time I had it done they'd give me two pills.  I was to take one two hours before the appointment and the second once I arrived in the waiting room. I was in a state of "twilight - half asleep but still somewhat aware of them doing it".  I could not drive.  I literally needed to lie down before they'd allow me to walk.  

Years later I moved and found a new dentist but instead of getting knocked out I was given novacaine and then gas.  I had the mask over my face and told to take deep breaths.  I was awake the whole time but there wasn't pain and the gas provided just enough relaxation that I didn't really care what they were doing.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nonametoday wrote:

@cantdrive55 wrote:

@89135 @If you haven't been to the dentist in a while, you will be really surprised & delighted at how different things are now. They do not want you to be in any pain, and will frequently pause to check in with you to make sure you are doing okay.

As other posters have mentioned, the topical anesthesia is fantastic; it is applied just prior to the section that is going to be worked on, with no needles, or downtime waiting for it to take effect, or numbing of your tongue, lips or face like with novacaine.

If, by deep cleaning you mean scaling & root planing, the dentist might schedule 2-4 appointments, and do the cleaning by uppers & lowers or quadrants if that would more comfortable for you.

I am posting to encourage you to go. There is so much now that can be done to help us get & keep our teeth healthy Our dental health is very important to our overall health. And, it's self care- you'll feel so much better!

@cantdrive55   I want your dentist.  I have never heard of such.  I have trigeminal neuralgia and I have to wait until I am not in an acute phase to go.  I have tried 12 dentists in the past 10 years because I go 4 times per year for cleanings and none of them as nice as yours.  I get Prolia injections and have the TN so I have to be sure I am kept lean and clean.  I never heard of deep cleaning either.  What is that.  I now go to a teaching university since they are more familiar with TN than most dentists and yet I never heard either mention "deep cleaning."  My hygienist always says my teeth are in great shape.  I think she just says that to keep me coming back.  

I have lost crowns and fillings during cleaning, which they swore was not their fault and I had to pay for their replacements.  Also, I had MRIs and my implants came out.  I was told a lot of this is due to Prolia, but some of this happened before that.

@cantdrive55  I just got off Prolia - I was able to take it 6 years and then it kind of just "turned on me" and the indigestion and stomach issues became horrific.  I take Arimidex to prevent a cancer recurrence and it causes bone loss so I am required to stay on something for that.  Oncologist wanted me to go on one of the other newer bone regeneration drugs - they all give one shot every 6 months) but they all list indigestion (for me the acid reflux was so horrible I couldn't function). 

My last Onc appt I told the doctor I'd take no more injectables.  He told me he didn't understand why I'd want those and I told him - an injectable lasts 6 months in your body and once it's in  your body you have to ride out the whole time before it leaves your body.  I used to take Fosamax with no issues so he put me back on that - I begin that new regimen Monday (pill form) but I don't like that they now require one pill a week.  I liked the daily pills in the past bc I could tolerate those and kind of "game" it so I didn't have as many issues.  We'll see. 

It bothers me that all these bone regeneration drugs all seem to potentially cause dental issues.  I was beginning to have those.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Financialgrl 

First off, I'm happy you are a survivor!

My understanding is Tamoxifen actually builds bone, although it does have its own list if side effects, stomach issues not being among them, as I recall.

That's wonderful you were able to take Fosamex  without issue, I'm sure you are aware it does require close monitoring for the not common jaw bone necrosis.

I am trying to help my teeth and bones by giving my body more fuel for the fight: a cup of Aldi's organic beef or chicken broth at lunch and thanks to @Abrowneyegirl, I ordered Designs for Life Whole Body Collagen powder. I will be delighted with the bonus positive effects for my hair & skin!

There is a Bone Density thread in Wellness you might find interesting.