Super Contributor

Has anyone had this done lately?  I'm sure I need this done and dont do well with pain and am terrified of going to dentists..Sadly, it's been awhile since I've been. Have you used anesthesia and if so what kind..local or general...? thx

Honored Contributor

Re: Dental Deep Cleaning

[ Edited ]

@89135 wrote:

Has anyone had this done lately?  I'm sure I need this done and dont do well with pain and am terrified of going to dentists..Sadly, it's been awhile since I've been. Have you used anesthesia and if so what kind..local or general...? thx

@89135   Had one not too long ago. I always get what they call a ‘topical’ even for regular cleanings. The regular cleanings with that do not hurt, but the deep cleaning did. This hygienist is usually pretty rough and does go deep even for regular cleanings.

I would either call the office and ask or do it when you get there. I’m sure they could give you some Novocain.

Respected Contributor

@89135 wrote:

I had not been to the dentist for 28 years. I recently had a regular teeth cleaning and then two other appointments for 1/2 of the mouth deep cleanng each.  I belueve i only had topical pain numbing. I did not have shots. I only felt a sharp pain once. I was surprised how magnificent the hygenist is. I wiish you could go to her. 

Contributor

I have my teeth cleaned every 6 months under no sedation or local anesthesia.  If you have kept up your schedule of cleanings, you probably do not need anything.  When you say "deep cleaning," it sounds like the dentist will really need to spend a lot of time scraping away at your teeth and between your teeth.  I would suggest having a novocaine injection in this case.  Some people have very sensitive teeth and this should also be taken into consideration.

Respected Contributor

Talk to your dentist about options. Some will use local anesthetic and some may use something more. There are dentists who specialize in sedation dentistry for people who fear going to the dentist. I have friends who always bring a spouse because of their anxiety. If you dentist won't work with you, find one who will.

My last dentist was great and all of her hygienists were skilled. My new dentist (I moved, or I'd not have changed) does all the cleanings himself and he's rough. Even regular cleaning is harsh. But I like everything else about his practice and and the way he explains everything he's going to do before he does it and then as he does it, so I put up with it.

Esteemed Contributor

I have had a deep cleaning twice, and each time after several attempts at local anesthesia, I gave up, and just told the hygienist to go for it. It was uncomfortable each time, but, I was more afraid of what can happen down the line, had I not had it done.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

Do you have gum disease?   Are you talking about a "scaling" of your teeth and gums?  Yes, I have had this and yes the worst part to me were the shots of anesthesia they give you, but they do it in 2 visits top and the lower, or vice versa!

Super Contributor

@89135 @If you haven't been to the dentist in a while, you will be really surprised & delighted at how different things are now. They do not want you to be in any pain, and will frequently pause to check in with you to make sure you are doing okay.

As other posters have mentioned, the topical anesthesia is fantastic; it is applied just prior to the section that is going to be worked on, with no needles, or downtime waiting for it to take effect, or numbing of your tongue, lips or face like with novacaine.

If, by deep cleaning you mean scaling & root planing, the dentist might schedule 2-4 appointments, and do the cleaning by uppers & lowers or quadrants if that would more comfortable for you.

I am posting to encourage you to go. There is so much now that can be done to help us get & keep our teeth healthy Our dental health is very important to our overall health. And, it's self care- you'll feel so much better!

Super Contributor

I think I do have gum disease..what kind of anesthesia did you have? local or general anesthesia...Ive had IV sedation before and completely put out for a couple implants..would they do that for deep cleaning..

Respected Contributor

I’ve had a deep cleaning several years ago and they divided it into two sessions.   They said they could use a topical numbing agent but I went without.   It was fine.