Honored Contributor

A friend of mine could definitely benefit from one of those chairlifts where you can "ride" up and down the stairs.  He won't even look into them because he's sure they're too expensive.  Does anyone have any experience with these?  Are they very expensive?  Does medicare cover any portion?  I'd appreciate any input.  (I hate to do a google search, for fear that I'll then be innundated with phone calls, e-mails, etc.).  Thanks so much.

Honored Contributor

My thought is if he is interested in purchasing one he would google and find out if it too expensive or would benefit him.  But it is certainly kind for you to be concerned.

Respected Contributor

My parents had one in their two story house where there was a two part stairway with a landing between the two sections, therefore required two sections of stair lift. I believe it was several thousand dollars.

Honored Contributor

A friend had one for her second-floor apartment stairs.  No idea what she paid to have it installed, but I do know that when her co-op was sold to someone who didn't want the stairs, they were removed and sold to a neighbor - for some thousands of dollars, 5 is the number I'm pretty sure I heard.

Also no idea what help there is to pay for them although if Medicare does that would be super easy to find out. 

Respected Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

A friend of mine could definitely benefit from one of those chairlifts where you can "ride" up and down the stairs.  He won't even look into them because he's sure they're too expensive.  Does anyone have any experience with these?  Are they very expensive?  Does medicare cover any portion?  I'd appreciate any input.  (I hate to do a google search, for fear that I'll then be innundated with phone calls, e-mails, etc.).  Thanks so much.

Yes I have one, they run about $4,000.00. Cheaper than a fall. A God sent!! My Son bought mine, so don't know about medicare.

Contributor

there are some that are available for rent. my aunt rented and the company came and installed it and taught her how to operate it. she only paid about $100 a month and when she to leave for a home the company came and took it out no charge. also if your dr write a script for the lift medicare will pay , not sure what medicare requires. but call around to medical supply places 

Honored Contributor

Some really good information!  Thanks so much!  I never thought about the possibility of renting one!  Appreciate the input!  

Esteemed Contributor

My friend has one that the VA bought for him.  He said it is synced with "Alexa" in his house.  

Honored Contributor

My mother in law paid $3,000 for hers many years ago.

The batteries are expensive, around $300 when they need to be replaced.

Respected Contributor

They are very expensive, and made to order, so finding a usable used one is unlikely.  Easily $10K at least.  I don't think Medicare pays, but I am not 100% sure either.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York