Honored Contributor

I had it done a couple of years ago. They did it in 4 visits. Each visit involved one quad section of teeth. They gave me a shot of Novocaine, or two maybe, in my gums. Then they scraped and also used an ultrasonic cleaning device to blast away stuff below the gum line. I could feel the ultrasoundicon_eek.gif...it was a zinger and very uncomfortable. I was glad when it was all over.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

You do not want to have general anesthesia given by a dentist in their office.  General anesthesia should always be given by someone who specializes in this such as a anesthesiologist or a nurse anesthetist, under the direction of a doctor. It also would be in a or outpatient clinic setting and not in a dentist's office.

Your dentist should use a local like novocaine or even laughing gas.

If a dentist wants to use general anethesia in his office...run.  This is very dangerous and not an accepted practice.

@Carmie I agree with you in part. I’d prefer general anesthesia in a different setting, however, The American Dental Association does accept general anesthetic as a practice. Here is the ADA pdf about this. Dentists must have advanced training to use this. http://www.ada.org/~/media/ADA/Education%20and%20Careers/Files/anesthesia_use_guidelines.pdf

Respected Contributor

Re: Dental Deep Cleaning

[ Edited ]

@yellowrose wrote:

I had a deep cleaning done a few months ago - anesthesia was

offered, but once she stared, I didn't feel like I needed it.  Had mine

done in one sitting, and for me, it wasn't bad.  I expected it to be worse.

My problem came that evening. I wasn't told to NOT eat anything hot or to

rinse. Both of which I did.  Had a tooth that started bleeding, so I was up

most of the night with a tea bag on my tooth.  Took a long while for the

bleeding to stop.  So beware about eating hot soup like I did.

good luck @89135   

Warm (not hot) salt water rinsing a few times after a cleaning disinfects and soothes the mouth and tightens the gums.  Rubber-tipping, done every day thereafter, keeps the gums firm and healthy.

Honored Contributor

my husband had this done many years ago.  My husband said it was painful and would never go thru it again. The dentist did this because he said it needed to be done. Ever since it was done dh has had problems with his teeth.

This is going back many years, things may have changed over the years. 

Super Contributor

@Icegoddess  CoQ10 ?

Honored Contributor

@viva923 wrote:

my husband had this done many years ago.  My husband said it was painful and would never go thru it again. The dentist did this because he said it needed to be done. Ever since it was done dh has had problems with his teeth.

No things haven't changed over the years.  I don't know of one single person that was successful in keeping their teeth, no matter how dilligent they were afterwards.

Honored Contributor

@89135 wrote:

@Icegoddess  CoQ10 ?

@89135 I replied to you already about this under my post about Bone Density.  Short story, after I started taking CoQ10 my dental health got better in short order and within a year I was back in my regular dentist's chair rather than the periodontist's chair.  

I still have to do the daily mantenance of brushing and flossing and twice yearly visits to the dentist for cleanings though.  

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D   If you have dental insurance, most will not cover anything if the dentist does anethesia as well as the dental procedure.

It is not considered safe to go under totally unless there is someone there to monitor your vitals.  Remember Joan Rivers when her anesthesia went wrong?

Sometimes a dentist who has had specialized training can do the anesthesia, as long as there is another dentist who is doing the actual dental work.  This happens mostly for impacted teeth removal...where the services are done rather quickly.

General anesthesia is not usually done for adults that are not disabled for standard procedures.  Young children who need extensive dental work go to the outpatient dept of a hosp to get work done.

Honored Contributor

@viva923 wrote:

I agree about having problems post-deep cleaning. That happened to me when all of the sudden four of my healthy teeth got very loose and eventually fell out just a few weeks after the cleaning. I blamed it on my diagnosis of scleroderma but I really think that deep cleaning did something to exacerbate the situation. Who knows for sure but now my dentist wont do another deep cleaning for fear that some more of my healthy teeth will suffer their same fate.

Super Contributor

@Icegoddess Thanks..I remember now...I knew someone mentioned it before..thx.;-)