Respected Contributor

Anyone Experience Perimenopausal Estrogen Fluctuation & Breast Discomfort?

At 55, I suddenly am experiencing what my gyno thinks is "perimenopausal estrogen fluctuation" that affects my breasts.  It is uncomfortable, especially at nighttime.  I moved up my annual mammo to this afternoon just to be sure.  None of my friends who have gone through this lovely thing called menopause have had this.  The nurse practitioner said that my body is trying to have a cycle and that if I was still having a cycle, I'd have cramping/bloating/sore breasts.   Doc recommended Evening Primrose Oil and ibuprofen.  Meh.  Any comments and suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks so much.  :-)

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone Experience Perimenopausal Estrogen Fluctuation & Breast Discomfort?

I was one of the lucky ones concerning menapause.  My doctor put me on a low dose birth control pill.  It worked wonders.  I never had any symptoms except for one hot flash and that was the week I was off the pill.....didn't do that again.  At the time I believe the current reccommended age to not be on the pill was around 55 or 56.  I don't know what the current medical reccommendations are now.  It sounds like your doctor is current though.

Respected Contributor

@BarbiHollywood When you say "meh"....does that mean you tried the ibuprofen and evening primrose oil and they didn't help?  Or did you mean you didn't like the advice and don't want to try them?

Menopause hits everyone so differently.  Maybe a sleep bra will help....like an Ah Bra?  I would definitely try the ibuprofen and evening primrose oil, too.  

Honored Contributor

@BarbiHollywood---welcome to menapause and prob many years more of all that---I went thru it at 45. Had very sore breasts and unfortunately nothing like what was suggested to you worked so I opted for hormones which did aleviate my systems. However---I also developed breast cancer from taking them. So please do not go that route---can't give you any advice either---took me 5 years at least to get thru it all----then at age 59 got cancer, had surgery, chemo and rads--am 65 now and doing well, but wish I did things different. I know a few women my age, that are still going thru some symptoms----

Respected Contributor

Black Cohosh, Evening Oil of Primrose, Dong Quai, etc 

Tremendous amount of info on web. 

I suffered for over ten years from 37 till 47. I used low dose Prozac, and estrogen patch. Had D&Cs and breast exams every 6 months.

Good luck, hope you find relief.

Respected Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

@BarbiHollywood When you say "meh"....does that mean you tried the ibuprofen and evening primrose oil and they didn't help?  Or did you mean you didn't like the advice and don't want to try them?

@alicedee  Thanks for the reply - happy to see it.  I have been using the Primrose Evening Oil (1000mg) and ibuprofen a few times a day for the past few days but no real relief to speak of.  I think I'm just looking for something more potent.  I will say this, though - I do think the Primrose is helping a little bit with my hot flashes.  :-)

Respected Contributor

@wagirlI'm sooooo sorry that you went through all that.  I've heard a lot of stories simiiar to yours.  My BFF took bioidentical hormones for a very short time and recommended to me to never take them.  In fact, I had an appt with my gyno a few months ago and she raved about how wonderful bioidentical hormones are and gave me a few starter packs.  They're in my drawer, I will never use them.  I have a feeling many wome will say they are terrific and helped them a lot, but, for me, I think I prefer to ride out this menopause wave. I knew I could count on you ladies on this forum.  I appreciate your fast reply.  Sending you good health and happiness! 

Respected Contributor

@IMW  Thanks for the fast reply.  You suffered for 10 years????   Did the estrogen patch help?  I am going to have my estrogen level (and anything else necessary) checked to see where I am.  Been taking the Evening Primrose Oil (1000mg/3x day) and ibuprofen.  Thinking maybe I should take 3 ibuprofens at nighttime since sleeping is the most uncomfortable time of day.  Thanks for your post.  

Respected Contributor

55 is a little late for perimenopause.  You should try the evening primrose oil, it does help some.

Honored Contributor

I have never suffered from peri menopause or menapause symptoms.

I did suffer with breast pain and was scared to death about it.

It turned out to be too much caffeine consumption that was causing my issues.  I was drinking way too much iced tea.

I am careful with caffeine now.  It still causes sore breasts if I drink too much.