Trusted Contributor

Anyone who has had cataract surgery, can you please tell me if you had a different lense in each eye: one for all distances and the other for close distance?

Was this a good choice?

Have read up a little on this and found that some find using two different lenses provides comprehensive vision, i.e. less need for readers.

Honored Contributor

My husband has the same lense in each eye...he continues to wear glasses.

Honored Contributor
No, same lenses both eyes. Never heard of what you're describing.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I have the same in each eye as well.  When presented with the options there were 3, the basic lens which I would still need to wear glasses with, the HD lens which I would need for close up reading and then the one for astigmatism.  Ended up not needing the one for astigmatism.  chose the middle one.  Only need to wear glasses for reading.  Of course, the middle and up grades do cost extra, Medicare will not pay for those, at least with my plan it didn't.  Still paid my deductible though. 

I found though that with my left eye, it sometimes clouds up, but my vision is still 100% better than it was.

Helen852
Esteemed Contributor

I think the most common lenses after cataract surgery, are "distance" lenses, where you will need reading glasses.

I have heard of people getting one lens (progressive) and one distance lens.  The cost of the multifocal lenses are very high.  My doctor wanted $2,500 PER eye.  I chose what Medicare paid for - the plain distance lenses, where I need readers.

Google "lens choices after cataract surgery" and you will find out everything you want to know.

But, to answer your question - yes I have heard of one Multifocal and one distance lens after surgery.  I don't think glasses are needed with this choice.

Trusted Contributor

@Helen852  The consultant mentioned that most patients have to come back a few weeks or months after surgery due to cloudy lenses.

She said they just laser the lenses for about 30 seconds to clear that film.

May or may not be your specific issue.

Frequent Contributor

@Chicagosuburbangirl 

Have had cataract surgery. I especially instructed surgeon  to place a distance lens in one eye and a near sight lens in the other eye as the goal was "no readers".  With his skill, he was able to make the adjustment and to this day, 7 years later, I do not wear readers. And I do not wear distance glasses for driving.

If that is what you want, you have to be insistent and not "cave" to the "nay sayers".

If your doctor is relucant, find someone who will do what you want. It can be done!

Good Luck!

Honored Contributor

@Chicagosuburbangirl wrote:

Anyone who has had cataract surgery, can you please tell me if you had a different lense in each eye: one for all distances and the other for close distance?

Was this a good choice?

Have read up a little on this and found that some find using two different lenses provides comprehensive vision, i.e. less need for readers.

@Chicagosuburbangirl 

Like wearing monovision contacts! I haven’t had it done but, if I have cataract surgery, this is what I will have done. I used to wear monovision contacts and loved them! You are correct about less need of readers. It is pretty common to have one’s eyes done this way but I don’t think most eye doctors mention it as an option. 

Contributor

So strange I saw this thread with one eye.  Just had my second cataract removed today.  With my procedure they removed the cataract and got rid of my astigmatism.  I will still need to wear glasses though.  I'm sitting here waiting for the funny flying bats in my eye to dissolve.  Good luck to you!

Respected Contributor

@Chicagosuburbangirl 

I have the same type lens in each eye.  I wear readers.

Remember, eyes can change over time.  You may still need readers at some point.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill