Esteemed Contributor

About a year after my cataract surgery, I had what is called "secondary cataracts", a cloudiness in the eyes.  I went in and sat down and he zapped my eye with a laser(numbs the eye first)... It took seconds.  I had the other eye lasered 2 months later.  No more problems......

Respected Contributor

@Chicagosuburbangirl wrote:

Anyone who has had cataract surgery, can you please tell me if you had a different lense in each eye: one for all distances and the other for close distance?

Was this a good choice?

Have read up a little on this and found that some find using two different lenses provides comprehensive vision, i.e. less need for readers.

I wore one contact lens for years.  Eventually I had Lasik surgery and had a monovision correction.  When it came time for cataract surgery, I learned I had astigmatism so needed toric lenses.  Because my brain had been on monovision for 15+ years, my surgeon thought it best she continue with it.  I do have 2 different strength lenses.

Occasionally I need readers, most often when my eyes are tired or I'm doing a lot of reading.

Esteemed Contributor

Before I had mine removed I had the worst vision. Something worse than 20/800. I couldn’t read the E on the wall. I chose to fix everything. My astigmatism and I told the doctor I wanted the best vision I could get. I had been wearing glasses since I was 12. Yes I paid for the laser to eliminate astigmatism and yes I paid big bucks for the multi focal lenses. I no longer have to wear glasses of any kind, except sunglasses. Was it worth it. You bet. 

Trusted Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

Before I had mine removed I had the worst vision. Something worse than 20/800. I couldn’t read the E on the wall. I chose to fix everything. My astigmatism and I told the doctor I wanted the best vision I could get. I had been wearing glasses since I was 12. Yes I paid for the laser to eliminate astigmatism and yes I paid big bucks for the multi focal lenses. I no longer have to wear glasses of any kind, except sunglasses. Was it worth it. You bet. 

I did the same 7 yrs ago.  Still have perfect vision in both eyes.  It was the best money I ever spent!!

Esteemed Contributor

I had the regular surgery years ago, only wear readers for small print. I did have the cloudiness removed later.

I just had a yearly eye exam and told my Dr that my cousin had one distance and one near. He told me “Your eyes are great, you have one up on her”. I don’t know what he meant by that! 

Esteemed Contributor

I got both eyes done last year and opted for the free lens (paid by Medicare).  I had decided to do this before I found out I wasn't a good candidate for two different lens.  Quite a while ago I tried different contact lens (closeup/distance). I just couldn't get used to feeling off balance.  After surgery I opted for progressives (I multitask and it's a pain putting on and taking off glasses constantly.  I bought last pair from Zenni optical and they were $110, progressives including cute frames.

Honored Contributor

@Chicagosuburbangirl   I could have chose the option you speak of......but instead chose the Toric  lense....it gives me 20/15 distance in both eyes ...but I need readers for close up.

Before surgery I a bad astigmatism and was very nearsighted...  20/400)

The Toric lense  I thought was the best choice for me.

Valued Contributor

@Chicagosuburbangirl  I wore a single contact for 50 years for monovision, and my brain was trained to it so my Dr. agreed that was best for me when it came time for cataract surgery. I really recommend it because I hate to wear glasses.  If you relax and let your brain figure it out, I think it is a miracle!  Good luck, let us know how it worked out.

Honored Contributor

I have only had cataract surgery on my right  eye.  I chose the distance lens.  I also wear a prosthetic contact lens on the right eye as well due to a medical problem caused by Lasix surgery.  I cannot see anything close up with my right eye unless I wear readers.

My left eye is surgery free.  I can still still see up close with my left eye, so I wear no readers for that eye. That eye also has 20/20 vision for distance. 

If I ever need cataract surgery on my left eye, I will chose the lens to see close up.

I like using one eye for close up vision and the other for distance.  I never thought I could do it, but because of eye issues, I had no choice.  

It took two years and several doctors to figure out why I couldn't see out of my right eye after Lasix, cataract surgery and laser surgery.  Without my contact lens, I see very little with my right eye.

Respected Contributor

I am blind in one eye so this was not an option for me- but I will say, I do not need glasses anymore except readers for very, very small writing, very close up- About 4 yers after my surgery I developed the "film" some have described but 5 minutes with a laser poked a hole in it and now i am perfect again! I LOVE not having to reach for glasses to se the TV in the middle of the night or to drive! Also love not having to hassle with contacts, which I had been wearing since 14- and wearing glasses since age 8!!

Cstaract surgery is the best thing that ever happened to my eyes...eye...