Honored Contributor

Re: Can Mouthwashes, baby shampoo, neti pot rinses and others help kill COVID? Research article here

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest wrote:

I just can't see baby shampoo helping.

@goldensrbest @This is why baby shampoo was included in this study

"Detergents are known virucides, and the use of intranasal surfactants, including 1% baby shampoo has been demonstrated to be safe and effective as a treatment for chronic rhinosinusitis.21-25 This led us to question whether a 1% baby shampoo could inactivate HCoV"

@goldensrbest "Studies of chronic rhinosinusitis have shown the safe use of 1% baby shampoo formulations as a nasal rinse,21-25 but there is no literature to date that evaluates its use against HCoV or other viruses. ✅Our study shows that a 1% baby shampoo solution was effective at inactivating HCoV in a time‐dependent manner. The dilute rinse was able to reduce the amount of infectious virus by close to 99% after a contact time of 1 min and greater than 99.9% after a contact time of 2 min. With a contact time of 30 s 1% baby shampoo showed variable results ranging from less than 90% reduction in infectious virus to up toward a 99.9% reduction. Overall the results show a clear time‐dependent decrease of infectious virus. In contrast, a commonly used saline rinse formulation (Neti‐Pot) had no effect on infectious viral count in our study."

@goldensrbest The solution of baby shampoo acts like weak soap in the nose and nasal passages helping to lift and rinse away virus better than plain saline solution does.It's like washing your nose out to rinse away the viruses. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Can Mouthwashes, baby shampoo, neti pot rinses and others help kill COVID? Research article here

@Mindy D wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I would never put Listerine or shampoo up my nose. That part of the nose (nasopharynx) is a highly specialized part of the airway and is associated with the digestive track and the lymphatic system. Don't mess with it.

@SilleeMee @The researchers did not put Listerine up any noses or shampoo up any noses. It's an in vitro study of these various types of rinses and their ability to inactivate a coronavirus. Mouthwashes were discussed as being used in the oral cavity, however no rinses were used in vivo.

@Mindy D 

I misinterpreted the information you provided. I saw mouthwash, shampoo and neti pot rinses toegether and ...LOL!

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I would never put Listerine or shampoo up my nose. That part of the nose (nasopharynx) is a highly specialized part of the airway and is associated with the digestive track and the lymphatic system. Don't mess with it.

@SilleeMee @The researchers did not put Listerine up any noses or shampoo up any noses. It's an in vitro study of these various types of rinses and their ability to inactivate a coronavirus. Mouthwashes were discussed as being used in the oral cavity, however no rinses were used in vivo.

@Mindy D 

I misinterpreted the information you provided. I saw mouthwash, shampoo and neti pot rinses toegether and ...LOL!

@SilleeMee I knew there had to be a misread on your part. Thanks for your continued support of science on the Forum. 

Honored Contributor

what-smiley-emoticon.gif  Baby  shampoo? 

WTcensored.gif?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 

You use a neti pot with a saline solution. Just salt and water. Mix it yourself or buy it in premeasured, easily-dissolved little packets. You tip your head and pour the solution in one nostril and allow it to flow out the other. It actually works for cleaning up your nose and sinuses. I always reach for it whenever I have sniffles or the start of anything like a cold or flu. It's really easy, but you do need to be careful to use the right amount of salt for the amount of water in the little pot--If it's too much or too little, it won't feel good. If it's the right amount it feels very soothing.

Esteemed Contributor

I use my neti pot several times a week. It really helps with my allergies and I'm prone to sinus infections.

Honored Contributor

I predict a shortage of baby shampoo, Listerine and Neti pots😏

Esteemed Contributor

Until Dr. Fauci holds a press conference where he states unequivocally that baby shampoo, Listerine and Neti pots is the answer that we have all been looking for, to get rid of Covid, I consider these "studies" to be nothing more than hype and hogwash.

This falls under the category of "Inject Bleach to kill Covid!"

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

I predict a shortage of baby shampoo, Listerine and Neti pots😏

@tansy @Saline for the neti pot was ineffective. He baby shampoo 1% solution did inactivate the virus used in the testing. 

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Until Dr. Fauci holds a press conference where he states unequivocally that baby shampoo, Listerine and Neti pots is the answer that we have all been looking for, to get rid of Covid, I consider these "studies" to be nothing more than hype and hogwash.

This falls under the category of "Inject Bleach to kill Covid!"

@Anonymous032819 @The study does not say that these things get rid of COVID.