Valued Contributor

Alternative to Lessman--Less Expensive

Has anyone found vitamins comparable to Lessman that aren't as expensive? I take Andrew's but last visit, I noticed he didn't raise prices, he lowered the count. ..sneaky way of raising prices. I know you ladies do a lot of research and are knowledgeable. Thanks!
Honored Contributor

Re: Alternative to Lessman--Less Expensive

no I don't have a specific brand I use  and don't take AL products---but I do research for  comparable things. His deal is that he has control over the best ingredients which  why his stuff is more costly. Not sure if they are better or not. I hear lots of good opinions and a few not so good---but I compare the ingredients in their mg per each to other products---

Respected Contributor

If i were going to trust any vitamins , it would be his , he has a very strict manufacturing process and a long reputation to live up to. That is not to say there are not other good vitamin companies out there . I just don't feel comfortable with the China made ones with no regulations , that is just me.

Contributor

My dad used Puritans Pride for a very long time, and I used some of their products.  It is a good brand and the price is right.  Sometimes they have a buy one get one also.  Just add .com to get to their web site.

Honored Contributor

@MW in Iowa wrote:

If i were going to trust any vitamins , it would be his , he has a very strict manufacturing process and a long reputation to live up to. That is not to say there are not other good vitamin companies out there . I just don't feel comfortable with the China made ones with no regulations , that is just me.

PLUS......have you ever gone to HSN and read the reviews? He has five-star reviews, not just a few, thousands. That is what got me interested. 

Sometimes I hear the QVC hosts say that such-and-such a vendor has 250 five-star reviews, like that is a lot. Perhaps it is for the average vendor on QVC. But Andrew has thousands of five-star reviews; and some four-star reviews. Amazing!

He said that when he doesn't get at least four and five-star reviews, they go back to the drawing board and make changes to the formulas.

Respected Contributor

Designs for Health

Orthomolecular

Gaia for herbals

Jarrow

Valued Contributor

Thanks! I do think Andrew's are probably the best. I just cut down to 120 counts. I don't like to use easy pay. Will check out the other brands.
Respected Contributor

I use Doctor's Best and some other brands.

I am a stickler for bioavailability. Take magnesium. The oxide form is associated with lower bioavailability, meaning less of it actually gets to work in your body. But that's the form found in the Lessman supplements I've checked. I recall seeing three forms of magnesium in one formula, but it didn't say how much of each was in it. I don't like that.

I am sure it's possible, with some experimentation, to take the Lessman formulas that work for you and put together approximations that achieve similar results. I would do that rather than buy Lessman.

Esteemed Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

I use Doctor's Best and some other brands.

I am a stickler for bioavailability. Take magnesium. The oxide form is associated with lower bioavailability, meaning less of it actually gets to work in your body. But that's the form found in the Lessman supplements I've checked. I recall seeing three forms of magnesium in one formula, but it didn't say how much of each was in it. I don't like that.

I am sure it's possible, with some experimentation, to take the Lessman formulas that work for you and put together approximations that achieve similar results. I would do that rather than buy Lessman.

If you look at the calcium he does the same thing.  Mixture of several with no information of %s and never mentions elemental %.  

Strange mixing of vitamins too.  Sprinkles C here and there etc.

Anytime you see "proprietary formula", run!

Respected Contributor

@AngelLove2 wrote:
Has anyone found vitamins comparable to Lessman that aren't as expensive? I take Andrew's but last visit, I noticed he didn't raise prices, he lowered the count. ..sneaky way of raising prices. I know you ladies do a lot of research and are knowledgeable. Thanks!

@AngelLove2 , I purchase my supplements using the recommendations by Consumer Labs as a guide.  I have a paid membership, and they test supplements to make sure that they have the stated amount of ingredients and for efficacy and safety.  You would be surprised to learn what supplements don't pass muster and which do.  Are you looking for a general vitamin?  A 50+ vitamin?  A women's 50+ formula?  Let me know, and I will tell you what they recommend.  I take Wal-Mart's Equate brand of general multivitamin 50+.  It has the stated amount of ingredients and passes all of their tests.  It is considered to be a best buy.