Honored Contributor

Re: Can Mouthwashes, baby shampoo, neti pot rinses and others help kill COVID? Research article here

I would never put Listerine or shampoo up my nose. That part of the nose (nasopharynx) is a highly specialized part of the airway and is associated with the digestive track and the lymphatic system. Don't mess with it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Can Mouthwashes, baby shampoo, neti pot rinses and others help kill COVID? Research article here

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1 it's usually a saline solution.

I wonder how many people that use these solutions on a daily basis in  normal everyday life have contracted the virus.

I am not a medical professional but some of these studies are just plain ridiculous.

@CelticCrafter @The substances were not studied in humans. I won't say the study is ridiculous but it is a leap from the study's findings to real life inactivation of COVID-19 in our mouth and nasal passages. It's one of those things that you can think, "It couldn't hurt."

Trusted Contributor

I've also read that if you mix hydrogen peroxide with water and put that up your nose, that works in inactivating covid.  That would sting, would it not?  Maybe someone can try it and report back.  Smiley Indifferent

Honored Contributor

@agb80 wrote:

@Mindy D this is old news.  I heard about it months ago when studies stated that people who gargled every night with any type of mouthwash had fewer instances of the flu and now supposedly covid.  

@agb80 @This is about the publication of a single new research study and its results. Information about fewer instances of the flu after use of mouthwash is not the same as this new information which compares MANY types of rinses and their ability to inactivate  

a species of coronavirus in a Petri dish (in vitro). This is different news. 

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D 

My Listerine bottle lists the exact same active ingredients as noted in the article.

Listerine lists four active ingredients (Table 1), eucalyptol, menthol, methyl salicylate, and thymol. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

@Mindy D wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

Listerine is my mouthwash.

study, it says exactly which Listerine was studied.

Trusted Contributor

Well, they didn't actually test it on the same virus as Covid 19. They used one that is an acceptable substitute.  And they did not actually test it on nasopharyngeal tissue. I'm not convinced that it kills enough viral particles to lessen the danger of contagion. Keep your masks on, kids!

Take a look at the last two paragraphs of the study:

Several possible limitations of this work must be acknowledged. We did not use SARS‐CoV‐2 in this study as the virus as it was more expensive, less available, and would have required biosafety level‐3 laboratory conditions. Instead, we used high numbers of infectious HCoV‐229e, a common surrogate for SARS‐CoV‐2. This allowed us to rapidly test a multitude of products at varying contact times to identify potential rinses and optimal wash times in the mitigation efforts against COVID‐19. Second, we used an in vitro suspension of the virus with soil as a surrogate for oral and nasopharyngeal debris. Although this condition has been used previously, it is possible that this does not represent the true nature of the nasopharyngeal endothelial ecosystem. Third, the in vitro suspension does not consider the potential mechanical action from the act of rinsing. It is possible that in vivo agitation during a rinse may assist in viral load reduction or alternatively decrease effect by altering contact time with viral particles. Future clinical trials will be needed to evaluate the effect of these rinses in patients. Finally, TCID50 assays begin with a 10‐fold dilution, therefore, the lowest reduction level we could measure is 90% or 1 log10. A product may be able to reduce the amount of infectious virus by 50% or 80% which the TCID50 assay would not be able to measure.

5 CONCLUSION

The rapid spread of SARS‐CoV‐2 across the world has created an unprecedented healthcare, social, and economic disaster. With the most significant mode of transmission considered to be through aerosolized droplets,14, 15, 17-20 wearing masks and social distancing can significantly decrease transmission and spread.36 However, these practices have not been universally adopted. While we wait for definitive therapies and vaccines to contain and prevent the spread of SARS‐CoV‐2, additional strategies are required to lessen transmission. Nasal rinses and mouthwashes, which directly treat the major sites of reception and transmission of HCoV, may provide an additional level of protection against the virus. While clinical trials will be necessary to confirm the virucidal potential of these products and assess their ability to limit transmission of HCoV within the general population, in the current manuscript we have demonstrated here that several commonly available healthcare products have significant virucidal properties with respect to HCoV.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I would never put Listerine or shampoo up my nose. That part of the nose (nasopharynx) is a highly specialized part of the airway and is associated with the digestive track and the lymphatic system. Don't mess with it.

@SilleeMee @The researchers did not put Listerine up any noses or shampoo up any noses. It's an in vitro study of these various types of rinses and their ability to inactivate a coronavirus. Mouthwashes were discussed as being used in the oral cavity, however no rinses were used in vivo.

Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D ok. Thank you for providing us with interesting news and something to discuss other than mundane topics.  I appreciate you I really do.  I don't join a lot of discussion and wanted to let you know I do appreciate you. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gizmogal wrote:

Well, they didn't actually test it on the same virus as Covid 19. They used one that is an acceptable substitute.  And they did not actually test it on nasopharyngeal tissue. I'm not convinced that it kills enough viral particles to lessen the danger of contagion. Keep your masks on, kids!

Take a look at the last two paragraphs of the study:

Several possible limitations of this work must be acknowledged. We did not use SARS‐CoV‐2 in this study as the virus as it was more expensive, less available, and would have required biosafety level‐3 laboratory conditions. Instead, we used high numbers of infectious HCoV‐229e, a common surrogate for SARS‐CoV‐2. This allowed us to rapidly test a multitude of products at varying contact times to identify potential rinses and optimal wash times in the mitigation efforts against COVID‐19. Second, we used an in vitro suspension of the virus with soil as a surrogate for oral and nasopharyngeal debris. Although this condition has been used previously, it is possible that this does not represent the true nature of the nasopharyngeal endothelial ecosystem. Third, the in vitro suspension does not consider the potential mechanical action from the act of rinsing. It is possible that in vivo agitation during a rinse may assist in viral load reduction or alternatively decrease effect by altering contact time with viral particles. Future clinical trials will be needed to evaluate the effect of these rinses in patients. Finally, TCID50 assays begin with a 10‐fold dilution, therefore, the lowest reduction level we could measure is 90% or 1 log10. A product may be able to reduce the amount of infectious virus by 50% or 80% which the TCID50 assay would not be able to measure.

5 CONCLUSION

The rapid spread of SARS‐CoV‐2 across the world has created an unprecedented healthcare, social, and economic disaster. With the most significant mode of transmission considered to be through aerosolized droplets,14, 15, 17-20 wearing masks and social distancing can significantly decrease transmission and spread.36 However, these practices have not been universally adopted. While we wait for definitive therapies and vaccines to contain and prevent the spread of SARS‐CoV‐2, additional strategies are required to lessen transmission. Nasal rinses and mouthwashes, which directly treat the major sites of reception and transmission of HCoV, may provide an additional level of protection against the virus. While clinical trials will be necessary to confirm the virucidal potential of these products and assess their ability to limit transmission of HCoV within the general population, in the current manuscript we have demonstrated here that several commonly available healthcare products have significant virucidal properties with respect to HCoV.

@gizmogal @I read the study. I thought it's time that Forum members would do the same without someone else having to print it out for them. Thanks anyway @gizmogal . I'm very glad that you took the time to read it and that you look to original sources and evaluate them. I wish more and more people would do this. Now they will get the short cut they seem to want. I gave them the direct link to the study itself. How much easier can it be? 

Honored Contributor

I just can't see baby shampoo helping.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.