Honored Contributor

Re: CT Scans For Headaches

[ Edited ]

There is no radiation risk from a CT scan.  There is risk to your life if you should happen to have an undiagnosed brain tumor or vascular anomaly that is causing the headaches.  I think your real fear is that they might find something.  And that's a valid fear, anyone would feel that way but you need to have that CT scan.  In all likelihood, you correct that they are just tension headaches but you need to know for sure.

Honored Contributor

Ct scans definitely do emit high levels of radiation.

The advise is to ask your doctor if there are alternative ways of detecting whatever it is they need to detect and what are they looking for.

There are supposedly "low-dose" ct scans but these are not always used.

Many patients are not aware of the risks of CT scans. They emit as much as 200 times the radiation amount of an xray.

I wish I had known or been made aware of all this before all the CT scans I've had.

However it a CT scan is really necessary and no other way to figure out what is going on, that is something to consider.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@moon_gazer

@moon_gazer wrote:

I had been havings strange headaches in the top of my head for a couple of months, so I visited my dr. My blood pressure was very high and it was determined that that was the cause of the headaches. So, I began taking medication for the blood pressure. Still had the occasional headache, though, but not nearly as often. So, I talked again with my dr. and she thought it could be tension in my neck and shoulders which I do have often and prescribed a muscle relaxer for me to take at night for 5 days. The headaches went away for at least a month. When they came back again, (but, only once in awhile), she said lets do a CT scan just to be on safe side. She said minimal radiation is used. Well, I have not had this headache in over a week and am not sure I want to have a scan of my head. I truly think the headaches are due to tension.  I know the scan is quick and easy - that is not what worries me - it is the long term effects of the radiation that have me a little scared. 

I know you can't advise me on what to do about my own health, but, if someone else has been in this situation, maybe you can offer a lilttle help to get me off the fence on this decision.

My DR. Sending me to Physical Therapy for the headaches's I,'ve been having in the back right side of my head behind my right ear.  I can,t open my mouth to YAWN,  because I get terrific pain.  He said it is arthritis of my neck.  Physical Therapy helps for one week and then the pain is back and I have to YAWN with my mouth closed.  Medicare only pays for six sessions and I am going on session four Friday.  Maybe I should insist on a CT.  I will tell the therapist the help doesn't,t last.

Esteemed Contributor

@moon_gazer wrote:

@happycat wrote:

@moon_gazer, I am doing ok, thank you so much. I'm here and thats better than the first neurosurgeon predicted. Some days aren't so great, I do have migraines and memory issues, but I've been very blessed.

I wanted to tell you, more than likely you do NOT have a brain tumor. I remember hearing the statistics, and thinking I really should be buying lotto tickets. Anyway, just to be on the safe side, is why you need to go. And what I wrote is the absolute truth, things would have been much easier for me had I listened to my body (as I hadn't had headaches before these started, I should have known something wasn't right), and gone sooner.

Good Luck to you, and please let us know what you find out.

@happycat

I did not want to mention it in my original post, but, after you telling me your story, I feel I should tell you a bit of mine, too. I really do NOT think I have a brain tumor, but, I do know the statistics because 18 years ago I lost a 27 year old son to a brain tumor. He was perfectly healthy his whole life. Joined the air force at the age of 18 because he wanted to fly airplanes. Two years into his officer training for flight school, he had  a seizure one day. Turns out, at the young age of 20, he had a neoplastic astrocytoma malignant tumor in his brain. Who would ever have thought a 6' 3" 200 lb. young, healthy fellow (never took a sick day during all 13 years of school) would have a brain tumor?  

Thank you for taking your time to tell me your story and I will give an update after I have the scan.    

@moon_gazer, I am so very, very sorry about the loss of your precious son. You lost a wonerful son, the country lost a brave young pilot in training who was willing to make the unltimate sacrifice.

I absolutely hate that you know the statistics.

(((((((hugs)))))))

Honored Contributor

There are charts on-line that list the number of chest x-rays a CT Scan is equivalent to, depending on what part of your body is being scanned.

A CT Scan of the brain is equivalent to 100 chest x-rays in terms of radiation exposure. 

Respected Contributor

Thank God for CT scans, I had a brain bleed for over 6 wks ten years ago and the CT saved my life.

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Super Contributor

So thankful and relieved to report that I had the scan and got a good report - all is well. My doctor and I both think a combination of things have been causing the headaches - my blood pressure (prior to starting the medication for that), the tension in my neck, and possibly a medication I was put on back in November. She suggested I cut that pill in half and see what happens from there. As I said, though, in my original post - it has now been over a week since having a headache. 

I was afraid to have the scan due to the radiation and whatever damage could, sometime down the road, result from that. Hoping there will none.  

Thanks to all for your comments and concerns! 

Deep In The Heart of Texas
Frequent Contributor

@moon_gazer wrote:

So thankful and relieved to report that I had the scan and got a good report - all is well. My doctor and I both think a combination of things have been causing the headaches - my blood pressure (prior to starting the medication for that), the tension in my neck, and possibly a medication I was put on back in November. She suggested I cut that pill in half and see what happens from there. As I said, though, in my original post - it has now been over a week since having a headache. 

I was afraid to have the scan due to the radiation and whatever damage could, sometime down the road, result from that. Hoping there will none.  

Thanks to all for your comments and concerns! 

Thanks for the update!

Glad you're ok. Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@moon_gazer wrote:

@happycat wrote:

@moon_gazer, I am doing ok, thank you so much. I'm here and thats better than the first neurosurgeon predicted. Some days aren't so great, I do have migraines and memory issues, but I've been very blessed.

I wanted to tell you, more than likely you do NOT have a brain tumor. I remember hearing the statistics, and thinking I really should be buying lotto tickets. Anyway, just to be on the safe side, is why you need to go. And what I wrote is the absolute truth, things would have been much easier for me had I listened to my body (as I hadn't had headaches before these started, I should have known something wasn't right), and gone sooner.

Good Luck to you, and please let us know what you find out.

@happycat

I did not want to mention it in my original post, but, after you telling me your story, I feel I should tell you a bit of mine, too. I really do NOT think I have a brain tumor, but, I do know the statistics because 18 years ago I lost a 27 year old son to a brain tumor. He was perfectly healthy his whole life. Joined the air force at the age of 18 because he wanted to fly airplanes. Two years into his officer training for flight school, he had  a seizure one day. Turns out, at the young age of 20, he had a neoplastic astrocytoma malignant tumor in his brain. Who would ever have thought a 6' 3" 200 lb. young, healthy fellow (never took a sick day during all 13 years of school) would have a brain tumor?  

Thank you for taking your time to tell me your story and I will give an update after I have the scan.    

@moon_gazer, I am so very, very sorry about the loss of your precious son. You lost a wonerful son, the country lost a brave young pilot in training who was willing to make the unltimate sacrifice.

I absolutely hate that you know the statistics.

(((((((hugs)))))))

So sorry about your son.

(((((((((((((moongazer)))))))))))))

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

Ct scans definitely do emit high levels of radiation.

The advise is to ask your doctor if there are alternative ways of detecting whatever it is they need to detect and what are they looking for.

There are supposedly "low-dose" ct scans but these are not always used.

Many patients are not aware of the risks of CT scans. They emit as much as 200 times the radiation amount of an xray.

I wish I had known or been made aware of all this before all the CT scans I've had.

However it a CT scan is really necessary and no other way to figure out what is going on, that is something to consider.

This being 2017, the modern technology is in every hospital now.  There hasn't been a radiation risk for CT scans for decades.