Valued Contributor

Do any of you know if the mouthpiece type, snore stopping apparatuses work? Thanks in advance.

I love my family, my fur boys, my Jayhawks and accounting!
Valued Contributor

I tried several and nothing worked.  Get a sleep study done.  If you need a CPAP, it will work.  They do stop snoring.

Super Contributor

I don't know about that one, but....my dh snored so loud the neighbors could hear him. I made him sleep on 2 pillows and got the red box breath rite strips. No more snoring.

Respected Contributor

My husband uses the nose strips.  For the most part, they work.  Occassionally he will start snoring during the night, but that's usually because the strips comes loose.  I also snored but ended up having a sleep study done and I do have sleep apnea.  I use CPAP.

Valued Contributor

I did the sleep study and do not have apnea but got the cpap. The problem is that the cpap is causing dental issues due to dry mouth. That's why I was hoping to try the mouth appliance. Before I spend $1200 for a custom one from the dentist, I wanted to see what the reaction to them was. 

Valued Contributor

@poppinfresh wrote:

I don't know about that one, but....my dh snored so loud the neighbors could hear him. I made him sleep on 2 pillows and got the red box breath rite strips. No more snoring.

@poppinfresh 2 pillows? Does he sleep on his back?

Trusted Contributor

My son bought a mouth piece on line that molds to your teeth and has some metal pieces on the sides to a just to your mouth. He swears by it. I don't know what it's called, I would ask him but he's a sleep.

Valued Contributor

@sweetee2 wrote:

My son bought a mouth piece on line that molds to your teeth and has some metal pieces on the sides to a just to your mouth. He swears by it. I don't know what it's called, I would ask him but he's a sleep.

@sweetee2I would love to know what his is called.  I saw several online and I'm just not sure.  I'd like to go cheap, cheap, cheap just to TRY something, then spend more money to invest in something if necessary.  Thanks bunches!!

Super Contributor

RockChalk, He does now, lol. Then later in the night he usually rolls over to his right side, but no more snoring.

Frequent Contributor

I swear by the Ripsnore device.  It's like a retainer, holds the lower jaw outward a bit.  My husband snored like a freight train, but when he got the ripsnore thing, he was so quiet I thought he might have died!  It literally saved my marriage!

Ripsnore.com

You get two devices.  Heat in hot water for a few minutes, then place in your mouth with lower jaw extended a little...not enough to hurt, just enough to keep the back of your mouth open.  Let it cool, and that's it.  He has used the same one for at least 5 years.  Rinse it off every morning, store in the little case that comes with.  

Trust me, it's worth 1000 times what they charge.  BTW, I read about a dentist selling something very similar for ~$800.