Honored Contributor

You could have your eyes checked first to see if they can see anything. My brother had a glioblastoma brain tumor. When he went to open a door his hand was not going where the doorknob was. He had his eyes checked & they could see the tumor. The doctor sent him straight over to his doctor. If nothing shows up during an eye exam only you can decide what to do next. 

Honored Contributor

I would have the scan and not be concerned about the radiation.   

My husband had an MRI and 4 CT's within a one year period, and his doctors at the VA didn't seem to be concerned about radiation exposure.   

Esteemed Contributor

I have had like 4 in the last 1.5 years leading up to my jaw surgery. I didn't have any IV because all mine were done without contrast. They are no big deal and only take a few minutes. It is worth the peace of mind for you that nothing is wrong. Are you afraid they might find something wrong?

Esteemed Contributor

@moon_gazer, I think it would be a good idea to have the scan.

Several years ago, I started having headaches too. At first, it was a few times a week, after my lunch break, and not even bad enough to take a tylenol. Then it progressed to daily, and progessed in severity. I had a brain tumor. I wish I had gone to the dr before it was daily, before it got to be as big as it did. In my wildrest dreams, I never would have imagined a brain tumor.  Most of the women I was working with complained of headaches. I thought it was just that. It wasn't.

Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn't worry about Crazy in one CT scan.  I am old enough to remember foot xrays several times a year when I got new shoes; still remember the green glow of my foot inside a shoe.  Btw I am in excellent health at 73.

Super Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@moon_gazer, I think it would be a good idea to have the scan.

Several years ago, I started having headaches too. At first, it was a few times a week, after my lunch break, and not even bad enough to take a tylenol. Then it progressed to daily, and progessed in severity. I had a brain tumor. I wish I had gone to the dr before it was daily, before it got to be as big as it did. In my wildrest dreams, I never would have imagined a brain tumor.  Most of the women I was working with complained of headaches. I thought it was just that. It wasn't.

@happycat

OK. That did it - you have definitely convinced me that I should have the scan. Thank you for your comment and I truly hope that you are doing well.Heart

Deep In The Heart of Texas
Esteemed Contributor

@moon_gazer, I am doing ok, thank you so much. I'm here and thats better than the first neurosurgeon predicted. Some days aren't so great, I do have migraines and memory issues, but I've been very blessed.

I wanted to tell you, more than likely you do NOT have a brain tumor. I remember hearing the statistics, and thinking I really should be buying lotto tickets. Anyway, just to be on the safe side, is why you need to go. And what I wrote is the absolute truth, things would have been much easier for me had I listened to my body (as I hadn't had headaches before these started, I should have known something wasn't right), and gone sooner.

Good Luck to you, and please let us know what you find out.

Super Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@moon_gazer, I am doing ok, thank you so much. I'm here and thats better than the first neurosurgeon predicted. Some days aren't so great, I do have migraines and memory issues, but I've been very blessed.

I wanted to tell you, more than likely you do NOT have a brain tumor. I remember hearing the statistics, and thinking I really should be buying lotto tickets. Anyway, just to be on the safe side, is why you need to go. And what I wrote is the absolute truth, things would have been much easier for me had I listened to my body (as I hadn't had headaches before these started, I should have known something wasn't right), and gone sooner.

Good Luck to you, and please let us know what you find out.

@happycat

I did not want to mention it in my original post, but, after you telling me your story, I feel I should tell you a bit of mine, too. I really do NOT think I have a brain tumor, but, I do know the statistics because 18 years ago I lost a 27 year old son to a brain tumor. He was perfectly healthy his whole life. Joined the air force at the age of 18 because he wanted to fly airplanes. Two years into his officer training for flight school, he had  a seizure one day. Turns out, at the young age of 20, he had a neoplastic astrocytoma malignant tumor in his brain. Who would ever have thought a 6' 3" 200 lb. young, healthy fellow (never took a sick day during all 13 years of school) would have a brain tumor?  

Thank you for taking your time to tell me your story and I will give an update after I have the scan.    

Deep In The Heart of Texas
Respected Contributor

Re: CT Scans For Headaches

[ Edited ]

If it were me, I would do my research to verify what your doctor has told you. There are comparative tables of how much radiation a person is exposed to, by body part, in CT scans vs. x--rays. You can make an informed decision, weighing benefits vs. risks, from this data.

You could also call or stop by the facility in which you would be having the CT scan and ask the technician about radiation exposure for your particular purpose.

It is likely that you could have an MRI rather than a CT scan. Many doctors prescribe the latter only because it's less expensive. Ask your doctor about an MRI.

IMO, you should not be influenced in either direction by anyone responding here. That is their experience, not yours. There is also some concerning mis-information on this thread, which is why it behooves you to do your own research and get accurate information.

Honored Contributor

Re: CT Scans For Headaches

[ Edited ]

@moon_gazer wrote:

I had been havings strange headaches in the top of my head for a couple of months, so I visited my dr. My blood pressure was very high and it was determined that that was the cause of the headaches. So, I began taking medication for the blood pressure. Still had the occasional headache, though, but not nearly as often. So, I talked again with my dr. and she thought it could be tension in my neck and shoulders which I do have often and prescribed a muscle relaxer for me to take at night for 5 days. The headaches went away for at least a month. When they came back again, (but, only once in awhile), she said lets do a CT scan just to be on safe side. She said minimal radiation is used. Well, I have not had this headache in over a week and am not sure I want to have a scan of my head. I truly think the headaches are due to tension.  I know the scan is quick and easy - that is not what worries me - it is the long term effects of the radiation that have me a little scared. 

I know you can't advise me on what to do about my own health, but, if someone else has been in this situation, maybe you can offer a lilttle help to get me off the fence on this decision.

@moon_gazer  Once, I had a nonstop headache along with nausea.  I went to the ER and had a CT, which showed nothing.  I made an appointment with my doctor, and was sent for an MRI, which showed that I had a cyst in my sinus and an infection.  I suffered for over three weeks with this, before being diagnosed, though was given a prescription to prevent nausea in the meantime.  Lost lots of weight as the headache was so severe. It was another ten days before I was relieved of the headache as it took that long to clear the infection, horrible experience.

My question was why didn't anyone think that it could be sinus related, neither my doctor, nor any of the doctors in ER, and there were at least four trying to talk me into a spinal tap, which I refused, mentioned the sinus.

The fact that your headaches come and go, is different.  I always had headaches even as a child, horrible headaches, but now, I havn't had one for so long, I can't remember the last one, except for the sinus infection.