Esteemed Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

@Effie54 wrote:

If you're cleared by your physician, and you want to go, then enjoy. I had my appendix out many years ago before they did it laparoscopically. That took 2 entire weeks to heal. Do be careful of Covid.

@Effie54 :  Surely you jest LOL..................

No, I really mean it. Covid is prevalent on cruise ships. 

Honored Contributor

If I felt well and if my doctor said I could go on my cruise.  I'd go and enjoy myself.

Respected Contributor

Re: Buh Bye appendix

[ Edited ]

I had my appendix rupture when I was at summer camp when I was 14. Obviously, you are so fortunate that you didn't have to go through having a huge incision and long hospital stay . I would make your decision based on how you feel, not just on the doctor's okay. If seasickness is an issue for you, make sure you mention that to your dr and see if he thinks that could be a problem so soon after your procedure. Have a great time! ( I just know you are going on that cruise!)

Honored Contributor

@hick wrote:

Just asking for your opinions if you have had your apendix removed.  3 days ago, I had emergency surgery to remove my appendix.  I  am 75 years old and in good health.

It was done laparoscopically and I was home the next day.

In 8 days, I am to depart from Boston to Bermuda for a 7 day cruise.  I'm on a low fiber  diet which continues thru 2 days of the cruise and then I can add fiber.  THe surgeon said that I could go on the cruise if all remains the same as when she discharged me.

I have a post op appointment the day before we sail. 

I feel pretty good although I feel filled to the brim with tylenol and ibuprophen  Smiley Sad

Just wondering what you guys would do.

Thanks

@hick 

While things will probably be fine, have a Plan B. 

If you were to have trouble getting around (those cruise ships are big!) why not inquire beforehand about availability of a wheelchair for the first couple days IF you were to need it. 

Just as a back up for you, and peace of mind between now and then.

Regular Contributor

Thank you all so much for your valued opinions.  I've decided not to go.  I don't feel that great and don't want to wait and see if I'll feel better. 

I actually feel relieved since making this decision.

So many of you are more adventurous than me and I admire that.

Esteemed Contributor

Add the fiber back slowly, very slowly until your digestion levels out again!

Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

I had my appendix removed at the same time as my gallbladder, when I was 25, so our situations are quite dissimilar.  

If the surgeon says you can go, and you feel good, I don't see an issue.  The good thing is that food options on cruise ships are plentiful and you should be able to manage just fine in that regard.

@JeanLouiseFinch 

Just wanted to say that I had my gallbladder removed at the ripe old age of 21, and you're the first person I've come across who also had this done at a young age. 

I had big gallstones.  No laproscopic surgery back then (early 70s).  It was a really, really long incision with a fairly long recovery.  And yes, they removed my appendix at the same time.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

Re: Buh Bye appendix

[ Edited ]

@shoesnbags wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

I had my appendix removed at the same time as my gallbladder, when I was 25, so our situations are quite dissimilar.  

If the surgeon says you can go, and you feel good, I don't see an issue.  The good thing is that food options on cruise ships are plentiful and you should be able to manage just fine in that regard.

@JeanLouiseFinch 

Just wanted to say that I had my gallbladder removed at the ripe old age of 21, and you're the first person I've come across who also had this done at a young age. 

I had big gallstones.  No laproscopic surgery back then (early 70s).  It was a really, really long incision with a fairly long recovery.  And yes, they removed my appendix at the same time.

@shoesnbags yes, I was slced and stapled too.  Curious, was it after you had a baby?  Mine was a month after I delivered our first child.  Apparently it's not all that uncommon after a pregnancy.  🤷‍♀️

Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch 

No, I was still in college and had never been pregnant.  In fact, the doctor remarked that I had none of the usual characteristics of a person with gallstones.  Just lucky I guess.Smiley Wink

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett