Super Contributor

I have dense breast tissue and a benign cyst in one breast which is why I get ultrasounds in addition to a mammogram. Has anyone of you had a breast ultrasound?

For me, it's uncomfortable because I have sensitive nipples. The technician presses and rolls right over it. I must have more nerve endings on the nipple than the average woman. In addition, of course there's the added stress of finding cancer. But if it wasn't for my nipple sensitivity, the ultrasound would be nothing to me. 

Respected Contributor

I had a breast ultrsound years ago because I have dense breasts. I was called back in on my most recent mammagram for more pictures. They sent me to a facility with digital equipment where they took about 6 pictures. Thankfully, all was clear.

Esteemed Contributor

@kelshar  I have had a couple of breast ultrasounds due to a strange lymph node. They look at it every year and decide it's nothing. I actually think the ultrasounds are not as uncomfortable as the mammograms. I HATE mammograms! Maybe it's about the location of your cyst. 

Honored Contributor

I have after a mammogram for a lump that turned out to be benign. Most are but I remember being nervous at the time. I prefer it to mammograms too but I don’t have the sensitive nipples like you do but I do have dense breast tissue that sometimes requires additional screening. 

Respected Contributor

I had one about 10 years ago and am scheduled for one in 2 weeks. It’s a lot less painful than the mammogram.

Honored Contributor

I had one several years ago and don't really remember being bothered by it except that cold gel.  I ended up having to have a biopsy.  The wait for that was excruciating.  It turned out to be a fibroadenoma, nothing to worry about.  The doc told me I had "lumpy breasts" aka fibrocystic breast disease and I could minimize it by eliminating caffeine from my diet.  Yeah, no.

Esteemed Contributor

Dense tissue with lots of little nodules. Last year I had to arrange for a digital mammogram. It was only $18. extra.

This year I was told they are all digital now.

Science marches on.

But, yeah, they roll that ultrasound device around on my throat, pushing down on my adams apple, windpipe, arteries...

eh!

Valued Contributor

Yes, both are uncomfortable and nerve wracking. 

Had mammo and ultrasound for dense breast in August 2015 and 2016. All good.......

until January 2017 huge lump...... another mammo, ultrasound......radiologist said sorry we did not see this before!!!

TN breast cancer. Chemo, double mastectomy, Radiation, failed reconstruction.......

Now, that is uncomfortable.

But, I am here!

Honored Contributor

I get a mammogram and an ultrasound every six months.  The ultrasound is never painful.  I have had biopsies, now that is a bit painful.

Trusted Contributor

@Zaimee  Bless your heart for all you went through Heart