Respected Contributor

steroid shot / shingles shot

[ Edited ]

If you have a steroid  shot, how long should you wait after that before receiving a shingles shot?

Honored Contributor

Re: steroid shot / shingles shot

[ Edited ]

That is probably a question  which your doctor would be the only one to answer as he/she would know the amount of, the specific steroid/prednisone/corticosteroid of your injection, the underlying cause and how long you need to wait before putting an antiviral/anti-inflammatory/antibody or otherwise any non-routine drug into your body. 

There is a reason you got the shot, there is an amount of which no one else is aware but your physician.  The decision is best left to your doctor who can check the medical literature if she/he is not aware of said answer.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ask a doctor or a pharmacist. Everyone will have a personal experience that may not be meaningful for your situation or you get second hand anecdotes that aren't much more than a story about someone who knows someone who had these shots!

You haven't named the steroid you received or intend to receive. They come in different dosages of varying products that are categorized as steroids. You don't identify which shingles shot you have in mind. There are two forms of the "shingles shot", the Newer Shingrix two-part shot almostvalways administered in pharmacies, or the Zostavax, the older version. which shingles shot you take may matter.

Answers here could be quite irrelevant without important information that could be applicable. This is a health matter and consulting a health professional would be ideal.  Asking a general question will not give you enough good information to be safe in timing your shots. Your body, your risk. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

With my first steroid shots in my knee, I was told to avoid any type of vaccine for at least 30 days.   

My doctor will not give flu and pneumonia shots close together.   

Respected Contributor

Point well taken !

Honored Contributor

That's a question for your doctor.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RedTop wrote:

With my first steroid shots in my knee, I was told to avoid any type of vaccine for at least 30 days.   

My doctor will not give flu and pneumonia shots close together.   

----------------

Because I had such a reaction to the old Shingle shot, my pharm would not give me the new Shingles and flu together.  He told me to come back in a month!!!