Honored Contributor

Re: Bamboo Extract

[ Edited ]

@cantdrive55 wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch 

@Shelbelle 

@SilleeMee 

Than you for this interesting thread. The Pure capsules are not standardized to any percentage, unlike Swanson and NOW. In your opinion, is this a cause for concern?

@cantdrive55   The term "standardization" doesn't have a specific definition.  Manufacturers can use the term to mean different things and it doesn't always indicate product quality.  There is no requirement in the USA for supplements to be standardized.  The label on my supplement says "Lab Verified" so I'm comfortable with the Pure supplement.  

Honored Contributor

A standardized extract in the supplement industry means the extract present in a supplement is the same in all bottles within a given brand. In other words, if you were to buy capsules of just bamboo powder, there's no way to know how much silica is in them whereas when you buy bamboo extract capsules then the amount of silica in each capsule is the same in all the capsules in the bottle..."standardized" to give you a known amount usually similar between brands.

Super Contributor

Thank you @SilleeMee. In an equally illuminating thread on Turmeric, I learned the importance of the source of Curcumin and it being standardized. I appreciate your taking the time to respond & shed more light on what standardization means. 

Honored Contributor

You're welcome smiling face.png @cantdrive55 

Honored Contributor

I just got my DEXA scan results and I am devastated to say the least. My T-scores are all showing osteoporosis. My rheumatologist says despite all that I have done with supps (silica/calcium/vitamin D) and exercise, my scleroderma has progressed beyond those measures and that I'll be needing intervention...Rx drugs! 

Honored Contributor

Sillie, so sorry to hear this, but knowing you , you will be doing your homework and will be certain of what they are prescribing to you is what you want to take before you accept it.  I am sure you will have a long talk with the prescribing doctor.  Thanks for sharing with us, you did all you could on your own to prevent this from happening. 

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee 

I am so sorry to hear about your osteoporosis.  I know you have done everything you could do and helped those of us with questions too.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle 

I haven't yet had a discussion with my rheumy about a Rx yet. But I know for sure it won't be a pill b/c I have esophageal issues. So that leaves either IV-infusion or an injectable. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Shelbelle 

I haven't yet had a discussion with my rheumy about a Rx yet. But I know for sure it won't be a pill b/c I have esophageal issues. So that leaves either IV-infusion or an injectable. 

I know some who get the IV with no issues, dont worry. 

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee .... I am pulling for you to be able to contain this diagnosis.  Thank you for letting us know so we can help you in any way possible as you so freely help us.

My best to you. Heart