Valued Contributor

Is anyone dealing with a loved one with dementia that also has hallucinations?

He has short term memory loss. Plus He sees things that aren't there..Ex: other people are living here(not true)..When I say show me where they are..he says they're gone for now.

He gets frustrated when I say he 's wrong.

There are times I want to bang my head against the wall! We don't have family here.

He goes the the cardioligist next week..there has been no change in medication.

I've dealt with family members that had dementia but not hallucinations.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dementia and Hallucinations

@Jo1313 - I'm sorry for what you are both going through, it is an awful disease.  I was the sole caregiver for my aunt who had dementia.  Whenever she started to hallucinate, it meant she had a urinary tract infection.  She never complained of any other symptoms.  Is this something that has started recently?   Sometimes medication given to calm them like Haldol also causes hallucinations, but you did say there have been no changes in medications.  Hopefully your doctor can help you.  It is a very difficult for the patient and caregiver.  You have to take care of yourself while taking care of him

Respected Contributor

I remember seeing a commericial, medication commericial, for Alzeimhers/Dementia.  I recall it saying that people have hallucinations.  Now, I don't recall if that was a side effect of the medication of a symptom of the disease.  I think this should be discussed with your PCP.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree that UTI can cause confusion and hallucination in the elderly.

Also, Google Lewy Body.  It is common with this disorder.

Take care~

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Hallucinations are quite common in people with dementia.  My friend's brother went through this.  In his case he said they were not frightening, though in some patients they can be.  She was told to acknowledge what he saw but to let him know she didn't see what he saw and to change the environment by moving him to another room or play music to distract him.  So sorry you are going through this, so difficult. 

Trusted Contributor

I don't have dementia but for about 9 years I've had musical hallucinations.  No matter where I went, I could hear music so I knew it wasn't real.  It wasn't loud and it wasn't present when there was other noise such as people or TV etc.

When I was researching the problem, I found this mainly occurred with dementia.  So I kept reading and found the culprit.  I had been taking a muscle relaxant cyclobenzaprine, brand name Flexeril.  When I stopped this,  the hallucinations stopped.

If you haven't already done so, google hallucinations and medications to see if anything he's taking could be the culprit.  It might be something he's taken for a while.

This is probably a long shot since he's been diagnosed with dementia, but it's worth checking.

Esteemed Contributor

My dad had hallucinations for quite a while before the Lewy Body Syndrome form of dementia hit him.  He was not on any dementia medication then.  

I couldn't figure out why there were so many fly swatter in every room.  He thought he saw bugs flying or crawling.  When he said there was one crawling on my shirt....I immediately understood what was happening.  The next day I had the ambulance for him as he began weird behaviors.  He was soon released to a nursing home.

While my mother took several years for her Alzheimer's journey, my dad was gone in several months from the aggressive Lewy Body dementia ( this was the diagnosis that comedian Robin Williams received and probably co tributes to his suicide ).

Certain drugs can bring on hallucinations.  One of the three meds they gave my dad the first night, almost drove him over the edge for days !  I requested stopping them.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

@kze 

Wow !  I thought I was alone....for years I hear the sound of birds chirping as though I was walking through a forest.  It is such a peaceful, calming, happy sound.

I mentioned it to my doctor and she had so many questions about it.  Told her I was very happy with my situation.

Recently at Thanksgiving, I began to hear a very faint sound of music:  as though someone in the house was watching a football halftime band marching off the field.  The door to the viewing room was closed so the sound was faint but I could hear the horns.  As a band leaves the field, the sound becomes further muffled.  (Having been in An all-girl marching band in high school, I was familiar with the dimming sound.)

No   new medication or supplement has been added for over a year.

If I listen carefully, I can still make out the birds singing over the music !

Will Google as you suggested.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Super Contributor

@Jo1313 wrote:

Is anyone dealing with a loved one with dementia that also has hallucinations?

He has short term memory loss. Plus He sees things that aren't there..Ex: other people are living here(not true)..When I say show me where they are..he says they're gone for now.

He gets frustrated when I say he 's wrong.

There are times I want to bang my head against the wall! We don't have family here.

He goes the the cardioligist next week..there has been no change in medication.

I've dealt with family members that had dementia but not hallucinations.

Oh yeah ... we are going through the same thing with my 94-year old mother.  She is positive people are living under the house and climbing through the windows.  It does no good to disagree with her .... she just gets mad.  

We have tried, with some success, to convince her that these people are actually very nice.  They actually protect the house when she has to leave to go to the doctor or store.  

Other times, we just yelll at the 'people' and tell them to leave .. and say goodbye to them.  

Sometimes that works with her ... but it is so tough.  

good luck.  

Respected Contributor

My grandmother had dementia & hallucinations. She had several minor strokes that were never diagnosed until she was hospitalized for something else.