Honored Contributor

Re: Fire Light Lab Grown Diamond TSV - November 28, 2023

@skatting44   If I'm buying diamonds I'm going to my local prestigious jewelers.

If a jeweler does not tell me or fibs to me about whether my diamond I would choose is from the earth or lab created, this to me is not ethical. And I know there would be a few who may tell me one thing and it turns out to be the other.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bargainsgirl 

Saw  a presentation last night with CK &  Rep Michele .

They did  show a chart for a brief second  and the area of  Color   was G-H was higlighted along with  clarity , but Courtney then interruped  Michele who only sid that  most diamonds on the market are I-J in color  and  low clarity  rating . Michele did not finish explaining as to if these Fire light  lab created diamonds were the color and clarity  they had highlighted in the chart so  who knows the details....

She did finally later on after alot of  nonsense talk say they were fully faceted . That 5 and 9 cwt  bracelet , well now adays you'd be mugged wearing  something that size . The gold setting  looked light and even CK said " oh how light it was on her wrist ".

In regard to the earrings , well again less than 1 inch in legnth .They are always offering tiny earrings in lab  created or Affinity  same style all the time .

Honored Contributor

I wonder how many stones will be popping out? The settings (prongs) looked delicate and could be an issue.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I wonder how many stones will be popping out? The settings (prongs) looked delicate and could be an issue.

I agree.  QVC has always been cheapo with metal  (hollowed out) and the findings are always too small.  

Honored Contributor

@skyblue wrote:

Considering that lab grown diamonds don't hold their value, it probably makes more sense to save up a bit longer and purchase genuine diamonds instead.💍

Absolutely.  At least in the foreseeable future.  I have no idea what people do that have second thoughts on buying these.  Currently you only get them on some shopping networks (Gem shopping wants nothing to do with lab created anything) and places like Blue Nile which offers lab grown diamonds.  Lab created color gems are so clunky...the only place that offers are some shopping networks like JTV.  They might as well be costume jewelry. You have to remember that color gems stones are not that expensive on their own.  It's the diamond accents and upscale metal that makes them very expensive.  Plus the kind of gemstones and whether they are in groups or solitaires.   

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

Aside from an engagement that has bad juju, who sells diamonds?  You may re-set them, but I don't think many people sell them.

That's why they have estate sections in jewelry stores.  Diamonds go up in value.  Gold, Platinum, etc.  They all go up in value.   Gem Shopping network makes tons of money selling estate jewelry.  When you go shopping for diamonds, check the estate section first. All resold jewelry that has value (natural gems, diamonds, gold, platinum) are priced lower in estate sections. But still retained their desirability.  People that love jewelry love jewelry with intrinsic value. 

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

Absolutely.  At least in the foreseeable future.  I have no idea what people do that have second thoughts on buying these.  Currently you only get them on some shopping networks (Gem shopping wants nothing to do with lab created anything) and places like Blue Nile which offers lab grown diamonds.  Lab created color gems are so clunky...the only place that offers are some shopping networks like JTV.  They might as well be costume jewelry. You have to remember that color gems stones are not that expensive on their own.  It's the diamond accents and upscale metal that makes them very expensive.  Plus the kind of gemstones and whether they are in groups or solitaires.   

Lab diamond jewelry is sold everywhere and not just on home shopping networks. Most all of the major jewelry stores (Zales, Kay, Helzberg and Jared) are selling lab diamond jewelry.

Esteemed Contributor

Prices are ridulous.  I have two of my mom's tennis bracelets from years ago & one that was a gift from hubby & daughter. All are 14k but I never wear them.  They are real natural diamonds.

Super Contributor

They are not natural diamonds. Better to get absolute from hsn.
Regular Contributor

I wonder if lab grown diamonds will eventually become like cultured pearls?  I'm sure cultured pearls were looked down upon by the Vanderbilts and their ilk at first, but very few people have natural pearl strands anymore and it has been like that for the better part of a century.  I don't know what the value of cultured pearls was 100+ year ago, (I think Mikimoto invented them in the late 19th century.  I've read the history but did not Google it for this post) but I bet a 100-year old cultured pearl strand has some value now.

Having said that, If I had a few grand to spend on a bracelet, I'd probably buy it in person.