Susan HaywardImage result for susan hayward

Honored Contributor

Re: The naturally beautiful actresses of the 40s and 50s

Janet Leigh (beautiful in Little Women)

Myrna Loy ( Thin Man series)

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

Cyd Charisse - one of the most beautiful dancers at MGM.

Grace Kelly - a timeless beauty in Rear Window and To Catch a Thief

Audrey Hepburn - not only beautiful but well spoken. A true fashion icon even to this day!

Elizabeth Taylor - a beautiful child actress who was able to transition to adult roles (not a common thing in those days either).

Valued Contributor

Ginger Rogers

Marian Hutton

Elizabeth Taylor

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 , I was curious about the same thing. All of the actresses mentioned were beautiful and I am sure they done all they could to remain that way due to thier line of business. I think Ingrid Bergman had such a a lovely complexion as did her daughter that was an actress ( whose name I can not think of at the moment__________Rosselini??sp?)

I think it was hard for the press to catch them without make-up back then. Probably due to bulkier cameras,studio contracts etc. I have seen many current popular figures sans makeup and it really isn't bad .

I remember reading in Doris Day's autobiography how much she hated the heavy 'pancake' makeup she was obliged to wear when working and so glad when lighter ones were developed.

Of course we all have the April of our prime--and then the following months. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I enjoy talking to my Mom about those actresses. That's how I know most of them because I haven't watched many old movies.

I did go through my phases of being slightly obsessed with Marilyn Monroe and Elizabeth Taylor. Elizabeth in National Velvet, she was just breathtaking. Same for Grace Kelly, to me her beauty was just otherworldly. And I'd say her wedding dress is still the most beautiful I've ever seen.

"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Honored Contributor

Shirly Temple

Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at Thu, Apr 6, 2017-4.40.28 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-04-06 at Thu, Apr 6, 2017-4.40.46 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-04-06 at Thu, Apr 6, 2017-4.41.15 PM.png

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Elizabeth when she was just 14mw07944.jpg

And later. Wow she was so beautiful  

2F7C5EA700000578-3365459-image-a-24_1450449671393.jpg

"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Trusted Contributor

I love this thread, these ladies were beautiful did anyone say Lana Turner?  So many so many beautiful women...............back in those days...........Bette  Davis was beautiful to me and well I just do not like Joan Crawford................

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@LilacTree

Hi Lilac!

Not being a smart aleck here, but these "naturally beautiful"  women were always photographed in full makeup and there were filters on the lenses.    I'd love to see photos side by side with these women in a publicity shot, and one with no makeup on at all.  JMO

@Tinkrbl44

This is true.  But they didn't have plastic surgery, facelifts, breast implants, botox injections and liposuction, and photoshopping, etc.  At least to my knowledge. 

They might have had facelifts as they got older, but I was talking mostly of their hey days when they were young.  Not that I think anything is wrong with them having any of these procedures. 

And not that I think anything is wrong with what they all do these days.  To me it's a personal choice.  I had my lower eyelids done when huge water buckets developed under my eyes from hypothyroidism, and I have never regretted doing it.  They never came back.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986