Honored Contributor

Re: The naturally beautiful actresses of the 40s and 50s

@Melvin-QVC

Sorry; it was just a fun surprise photo for the OP, as she's a huge fan of his.

BTW, there's lots of O/T's on other threads that don't get removed, especially the negative or unkind ones.

Esteemed Contributor

@sandraskates wrote:

Lucille Ball

Merle Oberon

Linda Darnell

Yvonne DeCarlo - and just about all the actresses found in the film The Ten Commandments.

If you want to really be blown away, look up images of a young Francis Bavier - yes, Aunt Bee from the Andy Griffith show. She was very pretty.

There's a photo going around that's purportedly a young Frances Bavier but it's actually Gloria DeHaven.

As for beautiful actresses, I think Jacqueline Bisset was absolutely STUNNING in her prime!

bisset2.jpg

Ditto Ursula Andress, or "Ansula Undress," as she was called.

Not to quibble, but MM actually had some plastic surgery; she had subtle refinements to her nose and chin. This is in her bios.

Honored Contributor

FWIW.......

Elizabeth Taylor's beauty was the result of a genetic mutation.  She was born with.....

Eyes so blue, they appeared violet.

Double upper & lower jet black eyelashes.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Catherine Deneuve

Actually they did have cosmetic surgery. They gave MM a new nose and some other tweaks.

Each studio had a redhead but no one matched Maureen O'Hara.

Audrey Hepburn refused to have her eyebrows thinned. After she stopped making movies and worked in the field for UNICEF 24/7 she'd often be on Larry King sans m/u and wearing a simple white cotton blouse. She was still beautiful.

The young actresses now all look alike with a few exceptions.

Honored Contributor

Judy Garland

1324940_1388779449584_full.jpg

Respected Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@okaywitheasypay wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 , I was curious about the same thing. All of the actresses mentioned were beautiful and I am sure they done all they could to remain that way due to thier line of business. I think Ingrid Bergman had such a a lovely complexion as did her daughter that was an actress ( whose name I can not think of at the moment__________Rosselini??sp?)

I think it was hard for the press to catch them without make-up back then. Probably due to bulkier cameras,studio contracts etc. I have seen many current popular figures sans makeup and it really isn't bad .

I remember reading in Doris Day's autobiography how much she hated the heavy 'pancake' makeup she was obliged to wear when working and so glad when lighter ones were developed.

Of course we all have the April of our prime--and then the following months. Smiley Happy

@okaywitheasypay

Isabella

@LilacTree ty, senior momentSmiley Happy & I did not have time to google. Ingrid Bergman was so beautiful and talented. I haven't seen or heard of Isabella for quite a while. they sure look a like IMO.