Honored Contributor

Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, WILLIAM SHATNER

🖖🖖🖖. 🎉🎂🥳

Saw him and Leonard Nimoy years ago. What a wonderfully engaging duo they were. Immensely talented and intelligent men who never took themselves or their most famous roles too seriously. 

Honored Contributor

@twinsister ,  I love your story of Jack Lord and William Shatner both being up for the part of Kirk!   Wow, both larger-than-life personalities.  I agree that they each got the perfect role for them!

Shatner has had such a fascinating career, especially in the early days of TV drama.  Then, everyone remembers his turn on "Twilight Zone".  And remember on "Fuge",  he ran that boys' camp or something, and his wife (Julie Sommars) and Richard Kimble jointly discovered that he was seriously disturbed-- he gave a frighteningly harrowing performance in that!  

Respected Contributor

I also recall him on the show T J Hooker.

Honored Contributor

Nice pictures, especially the courtroom one.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HisElk1 wrote:

Oh I forgot all about TJ Hooker!  Thanks for the reminder.  I loved that show too!  Seems like Heather Locklear got her big break on there.💝🌸

Trusted Contributor

I also like him in the series "The UnXplained."

Esteemed Contributor

@HisElk1 wrote:

@HisElk1 - I occasionally watch Hooker on weekday afternoons. He was good in that also, and that was 40 years ago!

Respected Contributor

@Venezia - I would love to think that Mr. Shatner was trying to be funny when he recorded that album, but I think he was dead serious about it!

I first heard the recording when a friend threw a Christmas party, and he talked about the record, and then everyone demanded that he play the record at the party. We we all laughing so hard! We could not believe our ears. Whether intentionally, or not, Mr. Shatner made that party so much more fun than it would have been otherwise, without his "music". 

Honored Contributor

I just read this tidbit about him - 

Shortly after the original Star Trek (1966) series was canceled, his wife Gloria Rand left him and took a lot of money with her. With very little money and his acting prospects low, he resided in a pick-up truck camper until continually acting in bit parts led into higher-paying roles.

Esteemed Contributor

My husband and I had the opportunity to meet and talk with him at several events. At one talk he gave, a NASA flight surgeon talked about how he made NASA his career because he was inspired by Shatner.

Theres a documentary about him in theaters now called "You can call me Bill."