Honored Contributor

Re: You are literally using literally wrong

I've always felt sorry for "figuratively". "Literally" gets all the attention, and "figuratively" winds up with no attention at all. "Literally"!

Super Contributor

Yes its annoying...but my personal Ballistic point

I SEEN ( him, it her, them)

OMG people its I SAW.....

Respected Contributor

@ProudMa wrote:

Yes its annoying...but my personal Ballistic point

I SEEN ( him, it her, them)

OMG people its I SAW.....

That is my pet peeve also.  I hear this all the time.  I "seen" him or I "seen" that movie.  One of the women I know says seen all the time and it drives me nuts.  

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

Although some will not admit it,  we all have words or phrases we use way too much.  Think about it.  At work one day  when someone was complaining about another co worker's overuse of like we all realized that we all had something we overused and it took others to point it out! 

A truly intelligent person will not point out such things.  It makes them sound less intelligent than they think they are!!!!

I disagree, my friends and former co- workers always encouraged each other to point out language mistakes. That's how we learn. An intelligent person always wants to improve. I know I make mistakes, but I'm not proud of it. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

My pet language peeve is the substitution of the word on for the word for or about.  Example: "I am waiting on him" instead of " I am waiting for him".  Or, "I'll think on it" instead of" I'll think about it".   This seems to be common usage in recent times.  My hubby dislikes the use of the word dope, meaning something very good.  When we were young, dope meant a specific illegal drug, which probably came from when the word dope meant someone stupid.  I guess by now I am literally boring you, hehehe. I am aware that language is always evolving, but I don't have to like it.

Honored Contributor

If people would just substitute the word "virtually" for literally, all would be well.  In other words, it's seemingly flying out the door, not actually. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

i  try NOT to judge someones INTELLIGENCE by how many times they may use or say one particular word, especially on a shopping channel OR on forums.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Jeff M316 wrote:
Please count the number of times your hosts and guests say the word “literally”. Try not to use that word. You aren’t using it correctly and you say “literally” too much. You will sound much more intelligent if you just stop using it. Watch a few episodes and count.

I'm sure they'll assign someone to get right on that.

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

i  try NOT to judge someones INTELLIGENCE by how many times they may use or say one particular word, especially on a shopping channel OR on forums.

@sunshine45  Good point! There is one particular vendor who uses the "literally word" constantly. However, she is a very successful business woman, and has made more money than I ever will. So, who am I to judge. However, it doesn't stop me from cringing. I remember when I was little and used the phrase "you know." My mom nearly clobbered me every time I used it!

Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@sunshine45  Good point! There is one particular vendor who uses the "literally word" constantly. However, she is a very successful business woman, and has made more money than I ever will. So, who am I to judge. However, it doesn't stop me from cringing. I remember when I was little and used the phrase "you know." My mom nearly clobbered me every time I used it!

I literally think you're literally referring to Josie M. -- literally!