You are literally using literally wrong

Please count the number of times your hosts and guests say the word “literally”. Try not to use that word. You aren’t using it correctly and you say “literally” too much. You will sound much more intelligent if you just stop using it. Watch a few episodes and count.
Honored Contributor

Re: You are literally using literally wrong

I'd like to see an item they're selling literally fly out the door, as they say.  We've had the "literal" discussion here many times before and it doesn't change a thing.  I guess you can't fix ignorance. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

How about literally " liquid" knit ? 🤣🤣

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

There are many phrases, words, statements, tiresome and repetitive selling points which are a daily part of the Q.  Many have posted about this and yet it continues.  As long as products sell and profits made, the Q will not make changes.  I find many hosts too annoying to watch and I do most of my Q shopping on line. Just my opinion.

Esteemed Contributor

Off to count the number of times......😁

Honored Contributor

Lisa Robertson would use that word all the time - literally. It was annoying, to say the least.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been watching language change for years now and compared to my early teaching when dictionaries and textbooks were prescriptive so we would be sure to choose the correct word, there’s a definitive movement toward their being descriptive of popular usage.

Google to find out what Merriam-Webster writes about the use of literally.  I just did, and now I can relax because I don’t have to find a way to change the QVC hosts’ use of literally.

eta  I hate it when I make a DEFINITE error when I am talking about language.  Sorry about definitive in my first paragraph.  It makes no sense.

Respected Contributor

Quietly giggling again - Thanks @Kachina624 !!!

Honored Contributor

Although some will not admit it,  we all have words or phrases we use way too much.  Think about it.  At work one day  when someone was complaining about another co worker's overuse of like we all realized that we all had something we overused and it took others to point it out! 

A truly intelligent person will not point out such things.  It makes them sound less intelligent than they think they are!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

my 16 year-old granddaughter uses 'literally' all the time....i correct her every single time!  drives me crazy!!