Honored Contributor

Re: When a thread is removed

[ Edited ]

@happygolfcartrider wrote:

I had a thread removed tonight, said it revived an old thread. When I typed in the heading nothing came up like it so I proceded. The last I checked there was nothing worth removing, must have turned ugly before I could check back. 

Looked at another closed thread and the reason was closed,  because of name calling and arguing on a seemingly innocuous thread about suggestions for designers. 

I started a thread a couple of years ago about good deeds and paying it forward and guess what, it turned ugly because a few had to ruin it for all.

I saw one of your threads that was removed last night, with a title about the reply feature being unavailable on a thread about Shawn.  Is that the one you're referring to?  The reason by the moderator stated something about restarting a closed thread.   From what I saw, before your thread was removed, it was essentially re-starting the discussion on the thread you were asking about.   I've seen the moderators close that down many times, since it has the appearance of an attempt to re-open a closed-for-commenting discussion.   Not saying it was your intention, just that there's been a precedent of that sort of thing. 

In general, though, I think we all know the answer to these questions -- it's their forum and the standards state they will remove anything they deem inappropriate.

(eta:  As @Pearlee mentioned, many of us also discussed the same general topic in her linked thread:  http://community.qvc.com/t5/Customer-Care/Moderator/m-p/2751199#U2751199)

hth!Smiley

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Moonchilde wrote:

I never have proprietary feelings about threads I start. I don't think of them as "my" thread, and/or try to behave as if I "own" and have the power to moderate it, or to tell posters I don't agree with, or like, to "shoo." I have never announced to the forum at large that they have ruined "my" thread.

Once the OP is sent, the thread takes on a life of its own. It's not "my" thread, so who posts what is...what it is. It's no reflection on me, nor do I get particularly upset because "someone ruined it." The threads are what they are. We can't control who posts, what they say, or which way a thread will go.

Most people are pretty 'whatev' when a thread goes buh-bye or doesn't go they way they'd hoped.

And I have never (and will never) ask the moderators to delete a thread just because I don't like what others are saying in it. How childish and entitled.

I'm the same way about thread "ownership," @Moonchilde.   All the threads "belong" to QVC and their moderators, and I learned a long time ago to think of posts and threads as temporary, ephemeral, since we really aren't in control of the moderation here.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

My thread said nothing about Shawn. It said Reply Feature and I simply asked what it meant when the reply feature was no longer there as I had not seen it before.

I don't remember the discussion after if anyone referred to her or not. Nice to know you read all my threads.

Don't worry, be Happy!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

happygolfcartrider wrote:

My thread said nothing about Shawn. It said Reply Feature and I simply asked what it meant when the reply feature was no longer there as I had not seen it before.

I don't remember the discussion after if anyone referred to her or not. Nice to know you read all my threads.

I don't read all your threads, or all of anyone else's threads.Smiley   No one has time to read all of another poster's threads, as far as I know.   I do well to keep up with my own posts... Smiley  I replied to you in hopes of helping. 

The one I did see was a reference to a thread about Shawn, closed not long before you started the "reply" question about why the "reply" button didn't work on the SK thread.  Since you seem to be asking about why these things are happening, I thought I could help.   Also, if you'll read the linked thread -- I posted the Q Social Team's email address.   They've been really nice about answering questions about why threads or posts are removed when asked more privately in email messages.   (eta:  If you do send them a message, try to give them the exact thread topic title, if you can, and they can find it and answer more easily.)

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@happygolfcartrider wrote:

I had a thread removed tonight, said it revived an old thread. When I typed in the heading nothing came up like it so I proceded. The last I checked there was nothing worth removing, must have turned ugly before I could check back. 

Looked at another closed thread and the reason was closed,  because of name calling and arguing on a seemingly innocuous thread about suggestions for designers. 

I started a thread a couple of years ago about good deeds and paying it forward and guess what, it turned ugly because a few had to ruin it for all.

I saw one of your threads that was removed last night, with a title about the reply feature being unavailable on a thread about Shawn.  Is that the one you're referring to?  The reason by the moderator stated something about restarting a closed thread.   From what I saw, before your thread was removed, it was essentially re-starting the discussion on the thread you were asking about.   I've seen the moderators close that down many times, since it has the appearance of an attempt to re-open a closed-for-commenting discussion.   Not saying it was your intention, just that there's been a precedent of that sort of thing. 

In general, though, I think we all know the answer to these questions -- it's their forum and the standards state they will remove anything they deem inappropriate.

(eta:  As @Pearlee mentioned, many of us also discussed the same general topic in her linked thread:  http://community.qvc.com/t5/Customer-Care/Moderator/m-p/2751199#U2751199)

hth!Smiley

@dooBdoo, you hit the nail on the head when you said "I think we all know the answer to these questions." We all do know the answer. So that begs the question, why do a few people keep asking, when, because they are in no way newbies, you know they know..."

I'm sure we each have our own opinions, and they probably at least half match 😈

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Moonchilde wrote:

@dooBdoo, you hit the nail on the head when you said "I think we all know the answer to these questions." We all do know the answer. So that begs the question, why do a few people keep asking, when, because they are in no way newbies, you know they know..."

@Moonchilde,   I admit I don't understand why posters who have been here a while and/or who post regularly repeat the same questions, since the answers are always the same.    And trying to make this forum something it's not reminds me of that old saying about doing the same thing again and again and expecting to get different results.Smiley   Even so, everyone's free to post as they please, within those pesky standards.   (Sorry for all the edits...  this new version of Firefox is not playing well with my Mac...  I need to switch to Chrome.)

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Moonchilde,   I admit I don't understand why posters who have been here a while and/or who post regularly repeat the same questions, since the answers are always the same.    And trying to make this forum something it's not reminds me of that old saying about doing the same thing again and again and expecting to get different results.Smiley   Even so, everyone's free to post as they please, within the standards.

True ;-)

I just have trouble understanding the mindset for the "expecting different answers" thing. I suspect it's more "hoping someone says they agree with me this time" as some sort of personal validation. But whatever ;-)

It does sometimes provide entertainment.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Super Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

There are a ton of threads where a post or 2 or 3, has been removed and the rest let stand.  I know sometimes the whole threat is against board standards or it starts okay then takes a drastic dive in which case the whole thing must be removed.  Seems to me like they're already doing just what the OP suggested.

That is what happened to my thread...and this is the reason why...

''This thread has been removed by QVC because a good idea has been reduced to name calling and arguing...''

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

NoName wrote:

Kachina624 wrote:

There are a ton of threads where a post or 2 or 3, has been removed and the rest let stand.  I know sometimes the whole threat is against board standards or it starts okay then takes a drastic dive in which case the whole thing must be removed.  Seems to me like they're already doing just what the OP suggested.

That is what happened to my thread...and this is the reason why...

''This thread has been removed by QVC because a good idea has been reduced to name calling and arguing...''

@plmokn,   You also might find the other thread (started on 5/1/16, topic is "Moderator..."), mentioned earlier here and which goes into pretty good detail about this issue, to be helpful.  I'll repeat the link: 

http://community.qvc.com/t5/Customer-Care/Moderator/m-p/2750928#U2750928

hth! Smiley

Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo  Your response to me earlier is gone. I would like to say to you that although I appreciate your imput, you always seem to be there when I make  controversial post's, you never have anything to say about any of the many good things I have to say. I seems a little odd.

You seem like a delightful person as am I and we all have our little quirks don't we?

Don't worry, be Happy!