Honored Contributor

Re: Stop Styrofoam Packaging ...

https://www.homeforfoam.com/

has some recycling ideas 

Esteemed Contributor

Would you rather go back to the popcorn - that spills all over everything when you try dumping it in your wastecan?  Order a lamp shade that's protected by white static cling pop particles............and you'll have a jolly afternoon picking those up.  Vacuum cleaner can't be used.

Respected Contributor

@mike995134

I could not agree more!!!  Packaging can be improved.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also received the Martha planters.  There is little that I will plant in them that will need so much soil, so I use  the styrofoam to fill the bottom of my planters.

Break up the styrofoam and pack the bottom of the planter with pieces.  It provides great drainage, uses less potting soil, and keeps the pots lighter.

When I taught art to home schooled children, we used styrofoam as printing material.  Take a chunk and draw a design into the foam with a dull pencil.  Wipe the foam with a sponge dipped in craft paint and print the design on paper.  Clean up is easy, just toss!

As it happens, we are packing for a move.  I was able to use all my styrofoam as pot-packing, and the rest as packing in several boxes.

Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

What do you propose they use to protect the items during transit?

There are several alternatives ... there is wood derived foam as well as packing material made from mushrooms. Both of these are ecco friendly snd can offer the same level of protection as styrofoam. 

43AC267F-71E5-42C4-9213-077C6E11E0DA.jpegE50F928B-4350-4A6F-B12E-12CE84BAE210.jpeg

Contributor

I do resets for Target and every day I get so sick and saddened by the amount of styrofoam that gets trashed in our store alone.  There needs to be a biodegradable one so badly. 

Respected Contributor

Styrofoam should be outlawed.

Honored Contributor

@mike995134   Buy things like this locally rather than off of QVC.   Your local businesses need the revenue and you can by pass the styrofoam.  Martha's products are not THAT SPECIAL.   You can  find everything she  puts  her name on  and sells locally.

Honored Contributor

A lot of products use formed cardboard inserts to protect products during shipping.

At least cardboard is biodegradable.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Valued Contributor

After unpacking the Martha Stewart planter on stand yesterday and seeing bits and pieces of static filled styrofoam flying all over my kitchen I vow to order nothing larger than a bread box in the future...what a mess!  The problem was worse because the styrofoam was broken when it arrived and there was no way to open the styrofoam container without removing it from the cardboard box.  Now I have a large box to recycle and two large black trash bags filled with broken styrofoam...not worth it at my age.