Contributor

Stop Styrofoam Packaging ...

Please QVC stop using styrofoam packing materials. Just received 3 of the Martha Stewart planters and each box is full of styrofoam ... it’s not good for the environment and it creates issues when trying to dispose of it. And for some of us, we are no longer permitted to place it in our trash or recycle for pick-up.

“The EPA and International Agency for Research on Cancer consider styrene a possible human carcinogen.[9][10] The American National Bureau of Standards Center for Fire Research found 57 chemical by-products released during the combustion of expanded polystyrene (EPS) foam.[11] On July 1, 2015, New York City became the largest city in America to attempt to prohibit the sale, possession and distribution of single-use polystyrene foam (the initial decision was overturned on appeal).[12] In San Francisco, supervisors approved the toughest ban on "Styrofoam" (EPS) in the US which went into effect January 1, 2017.”

This photo shows the huge pile of styrofaom that was in just one of the 3 boxes that I received today.

If the B122C714-B6BF-4C83-A915-D6729E74814C.jpeguse of styrofoam continues, I will no longer accept packages containing this hazardous material but rather I will return the shipment to QVC.

PLEASE HELP US WITH THIS.

Thanks ..... Mike

Honored Contributor

Re: Stop Styrofoam Packaging ...

What do you propose they use to protect the items during transit?

Respected Contributor

I don’t like styrofoam either but I’m not sure what could be substituted to protect breakable items during shipment.  Luckily we have a styrofoam recycling place in our area. 

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

What do you propose they use to protect the items during transit?

I agree with you this but there must be an alternative to the styrofoam

I think the OP might get further with her valid comment by posting to the Q Facebook and Twitter along with the picture.  

QVC Customer Care

@mike995134

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your feedback concerning the use of styrofoam in our packaging. I will ensure that our logistics group is aware of this.

Beth QVC

Respected Contributor

@mike995134 wrote:

Please QVC stop using styrofoam packing materials. Just received 3 of the Martha Stewart planters and each box is full of styrofoam ... it’s not good for the environment and it creates issues when trying to dispose of it. And for some of us, we are no longer permitted to place it in our trash or recycle for pick-up.

“The EPA and International Agency for Research on Cancer consider styrene a possible human carcinogen.[9][10] The American National Bureau of Standards Center for Fire Research found 57 chemical by-products released during the combustion of expanded polystyrene (EPS) foam.[11] On July 1, 2015, New York City became the largest city in America to attempt to prohibit the sale, possession and distribution of single-use polystyrene foam (the initial decision was overturned on appeal).[12] In San Francisco, supervisors approved the toughest ban on "Styrofoam" (EPS) in the US which went into effect January 1, 2017.”

This photo shows the huge pile of styrofaom that was in just one of the 3 boxes that I received today.

If the B122C714-B6BF-4C83-A915-D6729E74814C.jpeguse of styrofoam continues, I will no longer accept packages containing this hazardous material but rather I will return the shipment to QVC.

PLEASE HELP US WITH THIS.

Thanks ..... Mike

What did you think it was going to come in when you ordered it ....??

Honored Contributor

Many times I receive fragile items packed with plastic air-filled "pillows".  They are also not a perfect solution.  They must all be deflated or they take up a lot of space in my garbage can and landfills, there is still the plastic issue, the instances  of breakage are fairly high.  If the item being shipped is extremely fragile as is the case with glass items, styrofoam molded in the shape of the item is still the most satisfactory solution.  Seems like we're stuck with it until science comes up with a biodegradable material.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

And there is also the use in shipping food items.  Not sure of a viable alternative to that application either.

Honored Contributor

I agree it's a problem, but what's the alternative.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Many times I receive fragile items packed with plastic air-filled "pillows".  They are also not a perfect solution.  They must all be deflated or they take up a lot of space in my garbage can and landfills, there is still the plastic issue, the instances  of breakage are fairly high.  If the item being shipped is extremely fragile as is the case with glass items, styrofoam molded in the shape of the item is still the most satisfactory solution.  Seems like we're stuck with it until science comes up with a biodegradable material.

I have started saving those air pillows to use as filling for my handbags while they are not being used.