Honored Contributor

Interested in what criteria define "older folks"?

Esteemed Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

I am 80+ and I have a comfortable wardrobe.  I don't do much lounging.  I get dressed every day! 

Dressed in Isaac's SOHO plushback pants and his pima tees.  Comfort plus style!  

It's all available, just not all in one show!

@Zhills   I agree.  I'm also over 80 and I get dressed every day in original waist pants, shirt and fleece jacket.  I'm very comfortable, but can go out looking very presentable.  But, everyone to their own choice.

Respected Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I guess for a certain segment of the suburban senior viewers that might be of interest.

I'm 78 - absolutely no interested in that sort of thing.  

I'm 87 and I have no interest either. I'm typing this in my green Cuddle Duds, and green camoflauge Cuddle Duds top that match. Have my Berkies on my feet, and just happy as I can be. Age is a number, not a life style.

Honored Contributor

Yes, my mom was in a department store being the fashionista one week and in a nursing facility for 5 years a few weeks later.  And I still have terrible trouble getting her appropriate and wearable clothing that fits without being too long, is easy to get on and off, easy care for frequent washing, and warm.

She would have said it wouldn't happen to her either.  Life can turn on a dime.  Be greatful if you are old and happy and healthy, but don't assume it is forever.   

Esteemed Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@Gabidog wrote:

I would like to suggest a senior style show geared toward older folks mostly at home looking for comfort clothes.  This would not include jumpsuits or jogger pants, slim pants, bras without closures.  Would include bras with front closure, slippers, robes, nightgowns, tee shirt dresses, cardigans, readers, flat shoes, easy on off boots, night creams and moisturizers, gray hair pieces, nail and foot care products, etc.  I know many items on many shows do have these items (except nightgowns) but to have a show with just items we would find comforting and useful in our senior years would be a show I would watch.

Rhonda Shear (HSN) has a large line of bras without closures. 

@mom2four0418 the op that you reposted clearly states she does not want that!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Senior Style

[ Edited ]

I guess some people don't like your characterization of "senior style" but I think I understand what you mean, easy on and easy off clothing.  

I guess some of you think you will never get to where that is what you are shopping for, but if you live long enough, you will.  

Some will have these needs at younger ages, depending on dexterity and balance, social issues.  Nothing wrong in wanting to simplify one's life. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am 65 and it sound frightening and depressing 

Valued Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Gabidog   You are so right!  Lots for fortunate and well people here I guess!  And for a business, lots of money to be made in this market. 

Any of us could need things like that tomorrow.  And turn up your nose if you like, but there are a lot of older people with issues that certainly could use items that would make them more comfortable, and help cope with some disabilities.

And trust me they are difficult to find.  It's hard to find robes that someone on a walker won't trip on.  It's difficult to find clothing easy to wear, pants easy to get into, and shoes that are easy to put on and not too heavy with non-slip soles.  If someone is stooped over, that makes things even more difficult.

And it can happen to any of us.  No point at all in looking down on people who need these things.  And style really doesn't matter much at that time.  

@Sooner 

Thank you for bringing up your point that it can happen to any of us. I have friends younger than me (I'm 65) that have MS, ALS and have handicapped stickers on their cars.  You are lucky if you are 70+ and still hiking, going where you please and traveling.  These friends of mine you would never think a few years ago they would need any type of assistance.  It truly CAN happen to any of us at any time. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I read the OP's post, what came to my mind were the types of shows they used to present like Stan Herman and Carole Hochman sleep and loungwear - made with COTTON.

100% cotton ankle length t-shirt dresses, caftans, etc.  

Also items like LOUD alarm clocks and kitchen timers, etc.

Good grief.  It was a suggestion.  I don't think it deserved all the bashing posts.  Just because YOU aren't interested doesn't mean no one else would be.  We can't even be nice in a SUGGESTION forum.  Why all the conflict and negativity over a simple suggestion?  

Valued Contributor

I gave this a little more thought after a day.  Maybe it could be a show called "Simple" style instead of senior style.

It's not just seniors that need assistance.