Honored Contributor

@NC Bandwagon wrote:

Hello, Cakers. Smiley Happy

It's true, I suppose for some, bumping old threads can be annoying. With that said, I don't know if locking the old threads would help much.

A long time ago, when the QVC forum had it's old format, instead of bumping old threads, someone decided to make a whole bunch of new threads that had explicit words in it.

That was quite the cleanup for the mods.

I've found that if a poster deletes their own response, the thread drops back to its original spot. Yes, I know, people who bump threads aren't going to do that. Smiley Tongue

Not trying to put you or your thread down or anything. Just letting you know that if someone wants to create annoyance on the forum, they don't just have to bump old threads to do it.

This ^^^^^

The overnight trolls are looking to cause disruptions any way possible. They have found this easy way. But shut it off and they will find another way, as they have in the past. Making one change isn't going to mean there will never be trolls here again, problem solved.

QVC is apparently unwilling to spend the $$ to intensely monitor these forums 24/7 or get a totally customizable software platform. So dealing with these issues is one of the prices forum users pay to participate.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Re: Please Lock Old Threads

[ Edited ]

Hi, @Cakers3!    I'm absolutely in agreement with you and others who advocate locking older threads.    On well-managed websites the older threads are allowed to remain for reference (think of the old recipe threads as an example of usefulness), but they're locked for future comment, and bumping is never tolerated.    I think it's logical.    As I said on another thread, it's quick and easy for a programmer to achieve with a simple loop to search for certain criteria and set variables.   It would save time and trouble for the moderators and posters and would certainly remove at least one negative and at least slightly embarrassing public snafu on these forums.   However, the IT support staff would have to implement this and clearly the website (shopping side and Community) is of little importance to the QVC powers-that-be and I have no expectations this will be implemented.    Regarding the fact that internet trolls also can disrupt by creating new threads...   well, of course that's true but I don't see that as a reason not to implement other strategies which would help limit the trolls' options.    At any rate, my understanding is that one of the features of the new platform (one reason they implemented it) is a built-in "trigger" that detects someone posting numerous new threads quickly in a short period of time and automatically blocks their ability after "x number" of those new threads until the mods can review what's happening.

Gloomy forecast from a normally optimistic person:   QVC has allowed their videos and live streams to be nearly unusable for several weeks now, and that has to affect their sales.    Yet they still haven't made a dent in fixing the problem.    WIth that as an example, I doubt we'll see any significant technical improvements or adjustments on the site.   I have no idea what's happening with this company, but whatever it is I'm certainly not the fan I was years ago.    It's worth noting that these tech issues aren't the fault of the Q Social Team and they, too, have to live with the glitches.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Locking old threads would require systems programming.  I was involved in prioritizing system needs for a Fortune 500 company for 15 years.  They have tons of IT projects and have to prioritize ahd limit what's done based on staffing.  If I were Q, I would move this system change/project to a low priority item.  

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo Hi dooBdoo:  Good to see you  and thank you for your valuable input.

I'm not a techie person and I appreciate explanations.  I do realize that the Mods do not control how this system is set up and they do manage to keep some of this at bay.

Overall, it was just a suggestion and one that has been made many times before.

Heaven's I'm not "pained" or upset.   LOL

Hope you are doing well and I look for you often.Heart

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I wish people would quit starting threads in the wrong forums.

Looks like they would know what forum they're in and not start some stupid subject that is clearly not appropriate for that forum.

Mods sometime remove them . I turn them in left and right. They keep doing it again. Dense.

Honored Contributor

Re: Please Lock Old Threads

[ Edited ]
@SharkE wrote:

Looks like they would know what forum they're in and not start some stupid subject that is clearly not appropriate for that forum.

Mods sometime remove them . I turn them in left and right. They keep doing it again. Dense.

@SharkE If that bugs you, why did you post a post in the wrong thread?  Similar idea. 

Your post is totally OT!   

QVC Customer Care
Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I would suggest that a "stupid subject" is entirely in the eye of the beholder. "Clearly not appropriate" is also often open to interpretation, since as you say the moderators move "some" of them, but not all.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@dooBdoo Hi dooBdoo:  Good to see you  and thank you for your valuable input.

I'm not a techie person and I appreciate explanations.  I do realize that the Mods do not control how this system is set up and they do manage to keep some of this at bay.

Overall, it was just a suggestion and one that has been made many times before.

Heaven's I'm not "pained" or upset.   LOL

Hope you are doing well and I look for you often.Heart

Hi, @Cakers3!   Always good to see you, and I look for you, too, with continued positive thoughts and prayers.Heart  

The software fix is basic programming 101, easy to do and I've done similar things many times on various large and small systems.    But, as I said, I don't foresee QVC caring enough to implement it.   And, of course, there are things that are more significant to their financial bottom line.    I'm with you...  not "pained" or upset at all.    This is, after all, the suggestion box.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova