Honored Contributor

Please lock old threads.  We once again have a troll in Community bumping up old threads-some are YEARS old.

It's annoying to have to wade through threads that have not seen the OP in a long time and probably the OP is not returning.

Not to mention bumping is against Standards which we know have been strictly enforced in other situations.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3

I agree and would add that in some cases the subject matter of these old threads could cause the OP of that thread to have to relive an unpleasant event in their lives, such as a death in the family, family squabbles, etc.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Cakers3

I agree and would add that in some cases the subject matter of these old threads could cause the OP of that thread to have to relive an unpleasant event in their lives, such as a death in the family, family squabbles, etc.

@KingstonsMom  Excellent point!!!

The mods close threads for commenting all the time so I don't understand why threads after a certain exiration date cannot be closed, too.

Honored Contributor

Expiration date.  D'oh.

Honored Contributor

If it bothers you so much, make it a habit to look at the date in the very first post and if it's old then just skip it.  It's harmless that it's on the board.  Why should the Mods spend time going back and locking old posts according to some arbitrary cutoff date?

Making a habit of checking the date on the first post won't take you but a second or two - whereas going back and locking old threads ---and what constitutes old is a matter of opinion -- is not a good use of the Mods' time, esp. since the monitor all of Q's social media including FB.   I'm absolutely fine with leaving the old threads - what a minor problem.

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Cakers3

@KingstonsMom  Excellent point!!!

The mods close threads for commenting all the time so I don't understand why threads after a certain exiration date cannot be closed, too.

@Cakers3 and @KingstonsMom:  They are closing them.  They might not have gotten to the thread you are speaking of, but it will probably be closed at some point (I hope).  I saw at least 6 or 7 old threads this morning, and most of them have been removed by now!  Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

If it bothers you so much, make it a habit to look at the date in the very first post and if it's old then just skip it.  It's harmless that it's on the board.  Why should the Mods spend time going back and locking old posts according to some arbitrary cutoff date?

Making a habit of checking the date on the first post won't take you but a second or two - whereas going back and locking old threads ---and what constitutes old is a matter of opinion -- is not a good use of the Mods' time, esp. since the monitor all of Q's social media including FB.   I'm absolutely fine with leaving the old threads - what a minor problem.

@Pearlee

As I stated in my above post, bringing up old threads could cause the OP of the old thread to relive a possibly painful event in their lives, depending on the subject matter of that old post.

It would not require Mods to manually look for and remove them. With an expiration date for threads in the computer system, the system would remove them automatically.

And as @Cakers3 mentioned, it IS against Community Standards to bump up old threads.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Pearlee

As I stated in my above post, bringing up old threads could cause the OP of the old thread to relive a possibly painful event in their lives, depending on the subject matter of that old post.

It would not require Mods to manually look for and remove them. With an expiration date for threads in the computer system, the system would remove them automatically.

And as @Cakers3 mentioned, it IS against Community Standards to bump up old threads.

If it's against community standards, then it's not on the Mods to lock the threads; it's on them to warn or ban the posters bumping them.

If someone posted something on this board, then the risk it to "relive" it again.  If too painful to the OP, the OP could email the mods requesting to delete the thread.  None of the reasons to me for locking old threads are convincing. Why shouldn't the burden be on whoever it bothers, as I stated above, to look at the date of posting on the first post of a thread?   Take some personal responsibility rather than gripe about it or give the mods more work to do.  

Esteemed Contributor

What a silly issue!

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

What a silly issue!

@fthunt  I agree!