Valued Contributor
On 2/8/2014 ruff115 said:

Am I the only one who thinks D&B handbags should be carried by women who are 70 and over?

Most ridiculous post ever. If a particular style looks old fashioned to you, don't buy it. More for the rest of us to choose from. Sheesh.

Maria

Super Contributor
Remember when Lindsay Lohan was the face of Dooney & Bourke?! Lol.
Super Contributor

Am I the only one who thinks D&B handbags should be carried by women who are 70 and over?

Should they be carried by women 70 and over?? Yes...for sure, and for women under 70 as well.

Occasional Contributor

Lord, no!! I think Coaches and LV's look far "older" than most Dooneys! I write a consignment blog for the Twin Cities area and have had no problems getting Clothes Mentor to sell any of my old Dooneys (which I only sell when I replace with a newer one when I run out of storage space.) Around here, the "cool people" carry Dooneys, the masses carry Coaches from the outlet store and they scream "boring".

Occasional Contributor
On 2/9/2014 happy housewife said:
On 2/8/2014 luvingit said:

Are you sure you are not referring to Vera totes? I have seen DB in spreads in Instyle! Classic, beautiful bags. I have only seen old people and very young with the Vera bags.

Go to any university campus in the country and all you will see are Vera Bradley bags. When people are making snide remarks they should at least be certain of their facts.

Um...not in the big cities. In Minneapolis/St. Paul, no UM student I know would ever carry a Vera Bradley bag. They look like cheap flowery tourist bags. Here in the snobby big city the bag people carry Coach, D & B, Kate Spade and LV. Coach and Longchamp are the overwhelming choice for students here.

Super Contributor
On 2/9/2014 Danae24 said:

It's dated and ugly also, looks like a bag from the 60s

Don't be so hard on yourself...{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

{#emotions_dlg.w00t}{#emotions_dlg.lol}

Super Contributor
On 2/9/2014 Marzak said:
On 2/9/2014 happy housewife said:
Go to any university campus in the country and all you will see are Vera Bradley bags. When people are making snide remarks they should at least be certain of their facts.

Um...not in the big cities. In Minneapolis/St. Paul, no UM student I know would ever carry a Vera Bradley bag. They look like cheap flowery tourist bags. Here in the snobby big city the bag people carry Coach, D & B, Kate Spade and LV. Coach and Longchamp are the overwhelming choice for students here.

My daughter went to college in the "big city" of Boston, she just graduated in May so it wasn't that long ago, and many carried Vera Bradley bags. My daughter carried a Longchamp bag but has a Vera Bradley large duffle for traveling.

Esteemed Contributor
On 2/9/2014 Perkup said:

And BTW, Hi Cindy. I do have that alligator bag you mentioned. Bought it in 1951 with one of my first paychecks, and it wasn't really expensive. Neither were the alligator shoes I bought to go with it. Still have those, too. Guess I'm saving them to put in the will!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Wow...true style never ages does it? Wish you were my neighbor, I would run over to you house just to admire the bag. I'd even bring cookies from Whole Foods. I had vintage Coach bags and gave them away (silly me).

Contributor

I think some of them are dated, but others are classics. I don't buy them they are too expensive for me. I am insulted by the small canvas bag they are offering at $99 though!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Don't own or want to own VB bags. To me, those are dated. I know they were popular among the college set a few years ago, but I'm not seeing many of them except among older ladies these days, at least in my neck of the woods. Incidentally, it's not the 'dated' aspect that induced me to to carry them, I simply don't care for them, which brings up the whole each to their own thing... If I want a cotton quilted bag (and I own a few, used more for storage than to actually carry) I don't much care who makes them. My thinking is carry what you like and if you don't like it (for whatever reason) then don't buy it... As far as it goes, given the fact that 'vintage' is a hot commodity these days, I'm not so sure that 'dated' any longer applies... or, if it does, that it's a negative...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...