Esteemed Contributor

Re: What to make when you have a Bumper Crop of Strawberries? Strawberry Angel Food Dessert, of cour

Thanks for taking the time to post this, @ciao_bella !  Sounds like a keeper...

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

Re: What to make when you have a Bumper Crop of Strawberries? Strawberry Angel Food Dessert, of cour

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@ciao_bella  That looks great. Thank you for the recipe.

DD isn't a fan of angel food cake, there is no reason I couldn't use pound cake or make a white cake and use that, is there?

I have got to make this soon.

@CrazyKittyLvr2  I see no reason why you couldn't switch out pound cake or even regular cake for this recipe.  The angel food cake makes it a bit lighter in texture, that's all. 

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

@On It 

Your grandmother's version sounds good too, thanks for adding it!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@ciao_bella  That looks great. Thank you for the recipe.

DD isn't a fan of angel food cake, there is no reason I couldn't use pound cake or make a white cake and use that, is there?

I have got to make this soon.

@CrazyKittyLvr2  I see no reason why you couldn't switch out pound cake or even regular cake for this recipe.  The angel food cake makes it a bit lighter in texture, that's all. 

If using a 'cake' I would definitely not assemble it until ready to serve, as the cake will get soggy.

Because of the 'airy' nature of angel food cake, it doesn't absorb liquids as quickly as cake does.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I like this strawberry cobbler with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.  This is a former co-worker's recipe:

Filling:

8 cups strawberries, cut into 1" pieces

2/3 cup sugar

2 tbsp cornstarch

1 tsp lemon juice

Stir everything together in a bowl.  Spread in a greased 9x13" baking pan.

Biscuits:

2 cups flour

1/2 cup sugar

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

10 tbsp cold butter, cut into pieces

3/4 cup buttermilk

Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and soda, and salt in bowl.  Cut butter into flour mixture with pastry blender until butter is in pea-sized pieces.  Stir in buttermilk until batter is just a bit lumpy.

Scoop even spoonfuls of batter onto top of filling.  Sprinkle 2 tsp sugar over top of biscuit mixure.  Bake in 400 degree oven until biscuits are golden and cooked through, 20-25 minutes.  Let rest 10 minutes before serving. 

Honored Contributor

NOT angel food cake. Yuck!

Respected Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Not understanding your comment.  Do you mean if something other than angel food cake is used, you don't like it or you don't like it used with angel food cake?  

I can assure you, it's quite delicious using angel food cake!

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

I like SBs very much,its the af cake I dislike.

Valued Contributor

Make your own glaze, so easy...

Strawberry Glaze

In a saucepan add, 2Tbsp. Cornstarch 3/4 cup sugar and 1-1/2 cups water. Mix well.

Bring to a boil, mixture will be cloudy. Stir constantly until mixture goes from cloudy

to clear and thick. Then remove from heat, add 1small box of strawberry (Dry) Jello

powder to cornstarch mixture blend well. Cool and use in your recipe. Can also

Double recipe.

Respected Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1   Real classy comment..  SMH