Respected Contributor

BLT Salad with Basil Mayo Dressing

@Kachina624, here is the recipe I offered. 

BLT Salad with Basil Mayo Dressing 

1/2 pound bacon 
1/2 cup mayonnaise 
2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar 
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil 
4 medium slices French bread, cut into 1/2 inch pieces **
1 teaspoon salt 
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 
1 Tablespoon canola oil  
1 pound romaine lettuce - rinsed, drained, and torn into bite-size pieces 
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved 

Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble* and set aside, reserving 2 Tablespoons of the drippings. 

In a small bowl, whisk together the reserved bacon drippings, mayonnaise, vinegar and basil and let dressing stand, covered, at room temperature. 

In the same skillet over medium heat (there shouldn't be much bacon grease left), toss the bread pieces with the salt and pepper. Drizzle with the oil, continue tossing and cook over medium-low heat until golden brown.

In a large bowl mix together the romaine, tomatoes, bacon and croutons. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well. 

Mrs. G's notes:   
*I always freeze bacon, so instead of crumbling after cooking, I just cut it into pieces while it's still frozen and then fry it.

**This is really good served with hot Sourdough bread (which is also what I use to make the croutons) and a Shiraz wine. 
Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Re: BLT Salad with Basil Mayo Dressing

@IamMrsG 

Sounds delish! Thanks for sharing!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@IamMrsG    Thanks.  What's not to love with the ingredients?  Sounds fantastic. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

sounds like one i make--I grill the romaine lettuce first--just to get the grill marks than continue with the rest--is so good!!

Honored Contributor

This is a great salad.  I like to add a couple teaspoons of dijon mustard to the dressing for a tang.