Valued Contributor

Using up a bag of onions….

I have a big bag of onions and thinking of making some soup to have with grilled cheese today. I have some chicken broth and celery and carrots to use up. Not sure how this will turn out but I think I'll sauté the onions to get some canalization and flavor and add some chopped celery and carrots and simmer all in the stock.  I'm home all day organizing closets and I want to take a break with a nice cup of soup.  Trying to use up what I have. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Using up a bag of onions….

@simplyfriends .  The soup sounds delicious!

Organizing closets is on my list too mostly just the master bedroom closet and adding back my organized clothes in those Periea storage boxes.  

Honored Contributor

I like to use 1/2 chicken broth and the other 1/2 beef broth.

Valued Contributor

Thank you @rockygems123   I think it sounds good too!  

I also have those storage boxes to store my fall sweaters etc.  They are great. 

Esteemed Contributor

@simplyfriends wrote:

I have a big bag of onions and thinking of making some soup to have with grilled cheese today. I have some chicken broth and celery and carrots to use up. Not sure how this will turn out but I think I'll sauté the onions to get some canalization and flavor and add some chopped celery and carrots and simmer all in the stock.  I'm home all day organizing closets and I want to take a break with a nice cup of soup.  Trying to use up what I have. 

@simplyfriends 

I think it should come out delish. A version of French Onion soup.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Respected Contributor

@simplyfriends .  And forgot to say something about the grilled cheese sandwich.  Sylvie on Chicago Fire had made a big thick one with Texas Toast, it looked so good! Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@rockygems123   I'm using sourdough today,   Texas toast would be good too. I'm on a sourdough kick  If you freeze sourdough before eating it - it turns the starch into resistant starch. Better for your blood sugar and fewer calories 😄

Honored Contributor

I'd make this!

Caramelized Onion Quiche

PREP TIME25 mins
COOK TIME105 mins
TOTAL TIME2 hrs 10 mins
SERVINGS6 to 8 servings
YIELD1 quiche

Although this recipe calls for making a pie crust from scratch, you can easily use an already prepared frozen pie crust. Just prebake it using the directions that follow.

The onions will take about an hour to cook on the stovetop before they are ready to go into the quiche. So timing-wise, if you are making the entire quiche from scratch, it makes sense to get started on the onions once you've put the crust into the freezer to chill before prebaking.

Ingredients

• 2 to 3 large red onions (about 1 pound total)

• 1 recipe pie dough 

• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

• Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

• 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar

• ounces Gruyère cheese, grated (1 1/2 cups)

• 3/4 cup milk

• 1/4 cup heavy cream

• 3 large eggs

• Pinch nutmeg

Method

1. Slice the onions:

To caramelize onions, you'll want to slice them lengthwise or from stem end to root end. That way the onions will hold their shape better during the long cooking involved in caramelizing.

Sliced red onions on a cutting board, ready to caramelize

2. Prepare the crust:

If you are making your own crust (instead of using an already prepared frozen crust), roll out your dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12-inch circle. Fit into a 9 x 1 1/2-inch round tart pan (or 9-inch pie dish), pressing dough into corners, extending the edges extra high to allow for shrinkage. Transfer to freezer to chill for 30 minutes.

3. Preheat oven to 350°F.

Line pastry with aluminum foil, pressing into the corners and edges, allowing extra foil on the sides (they'll be your handles when you remove the foil).

Fill at least 2/3 of the crust with baking weights—dried beans, rice, copper pennies, or ceramic or metal pie weights.

Beans in a pie crust weighing it down for prebaking

4. Bake with the weights:

Bake first for 15 minutes, remove from the oven and let cool a few minutes. Carefully remove aluminum foil and weights.

Pricking the crust with a fork

5. Remove the weights and bake again:

Poke the bottom of pie pan with the tines of a fork and return to oven, and bake an additional 10 minutes or until lightly golden. (Fork holes allow any air to escape.) Transfer to a wire rack to cool while making the filling.

Prebaked crust in a pie pan

6. Caramelize the onions:

Heat 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed sauté pan on medium heat. Add the onions and sprinkle a little salt over them. Cook, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes, until the onions have softened and are translucent. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for an additional 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are well browned.

Add 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar and cook for 10 minutes more, until onions are completely caramelized. Remove from heat.

7. Start assembling the quiche:

Place tart pan on a baking sheet to catch any runoff. Sprinkle half the cheese evenly over the bottom of the crust.

Spread onions over the cheese and then top with remaining cheese.

Cheese added to the prebaked crust
    Caramelized onions and cheese added to the crust

8. Mix up the custard and pour over:

In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, cream, and eggs. Season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Pour over the tart.

Unbaked caramelized onion and Gruyère cheese quiche

9. Bake the quiche:

Transfer to the 350°F oven and bake until just set in the center, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for about 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.

Baked caramelized onion quiche

NUTRITION FACTS(PER SERVING)
433CALORIES
28gFAT
33gCARBS
13gPROTEIN

Respected Contributor

@simplyfriends wrote:

@rockygems123   I'm using sourdough today,   Texas toast would be good too. I'm on a sourdough kick  If you freeze sourdough before eating it - it turns the starch into resistant starch. Better for your blood sugar and fewer calories 😄

@simplyfriends.  Those are two great suggestions, sourdough and then freezing.   We grew up in SF and of course sourdough was everywhere, eaten pretty much every day.

After transplanting to Denver many years ago haven't been able to find really good bread.  Is yours good where you are?

Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I like to use 1/2 chicken broth and the other 1/2 beef broth.

@deepwaterdotter .  I like your suggestion a lot and don't think I've ever done that.  Not only making the flavor more rich I would think adding beef broth to the chicken? but also if you have on hand and need to use up some of either broth.