Regular Contributor

Turmeric? -- What types of recipes do you use this spice in? +++

I have been giving my mom a turmeric capsule because of its great anti inflammatory properties. It has really helped with the arthritis she has in one knee. The capsule is very large. To make it easier on her, I would like to use the turmeric spice in a recipe, instead. What kinds of recipes do you use turmeric in, aside from an indian chicken curry?

Any ideas are appreciated! 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Turmeric? -- What types of recipes do you use this spice in? +++

[ Edited ]

The only thing I use for is when canning bread and butter pickles. Sorry I can't help much.

Honored Contributor

You can put a small amount of turmeric in anything.   Yogurt, tea, rice, almost any food you eat, you can add maybe a half teaspoon.

How much are you trying to give her in a day?

@Wannabeincali

Honored Contributor

I make a lot of curries ... uses lots of turmeric (and other spices).   I make a curry something at least once a week.  

I also add a pinch to scrambled eggs, sprinkle on potato and egg salads.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Turmeric does not have much taste so you could put it in almost anything but it will change the color of the food.  

Trusted Contributor

Turmeric is so tasty in many things, as noted by the replies here. However, my understanding is that the amount of turmeric needed to have anti-inflammatory effects is greater than you can actually consume in food.

I have bought nice, small capsules for sale of 100% turmeric. Why not find some of those and give her more than one? Easier to swallow one at a time. I don't think I'm allowed to mention the stores that carry them, but you could try places that specialize in supplements and carry a wide variety. That would probably be better than mainstream drugstores or groceries.

Trusted Contributor

You can put it in tea, rice, veggies, soups, eggs.  Lots of recipes.

Frequent Contributor

I take two tumeric capsules a day.  It really does help with arthritic achy joints. They are rather large pills, but I don't have a problem taking them.  It's too bad that your Mom has difficulty with them. 

However, I think mixing tumeric in recipies is a problem in that it seems it would be difficult to ingest the same amount of tumeric you get in a capsule in a recipe.  If you added the same amout of tumeric to a dish as is in each capsule, your Mom would need to eat the entire thing to get the same amount of tumeric in her system.  Taking the pills is a much more concentrated way of getting it into your body. 

Plus, until I started taking the tumeric capsules, I had never bought or used tumeric in any dish in decades of cooking.  So for me, it would be very hard to use it in recipies as I would have to find a whole new batch of things to make (and to eat). 

My tumeric is in capsule form with the powered tumeric along with black pepper extract.  The pepper is a big part of why tumeric works so well - that is why taking the capsules is important to me.  It would seem to be hard to mix the powdered tumeric with something to drink as tumeric has such a strong taste. 

Hope others have some better ideas for you and your Mom......

Regular Contributor

THANKS for all the replies! I will try adding some to eggs, potatoes, and rice. 

She does take the capsule form, but she fusses about it. Smiley Happy That is why I want to add some into food.

Thanks again!

Esteemed Contributor

How about emptying the capsule and mixing it in some applesauce?!  I remember doing that with my kids when they were little!