Regular Contributor

Re: Turmeric? -- What types of recipes do you use this spice in? +++

Thanks so much everyone!

My mom is elderly, and she takes a lot of supplements daily. I guess giving her one more to take was more than she wanted. She is fiesty.....which is a good thing. It seems to keep her young. Lol I do give her an applesauce cup each night. I will try adding some turmeric to it and see what happens. 

I also remembered I have some emoty small gel caps that I used to use for my dog. I guess I could try to break the large cap into two smaller ones.

Thanks everyone! Great ideas. I appreciate it.

Respected Contributor

@Wannabeincali  Be aware that, for best effect, turmeric needs to be paired with black pepper.  Without the pepper to aid in absorption, most of the turmeric she consumes will likely pass through.  

My DH combines them in his glass of V8 juice every morning.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Valued Contributor

Tumi makes a turmeric tea (can be found at some grocery stores), and I drink that on occasion. I take a capsule every day, and it has the black pepper in it, but I also take a capsule of phosphatidyl choline, which is supposed to help with turmeric.

Esteemed Contributor

I've never used turmeric on anything other than hard-boiled eggs for salad or for grilled chicken.

For tuna salad, I use curry, but adding in turmeric would be good, too.

Honored Contributor

I put a turmeric, carrot, ginger powder in my morning smoothies. Can't taste anything either.

Honored Contributor

I use it a lot in curries and sometimes in rice both steamed and in pilaf but I can't imagine being able to use enough in a recipe to equate taking it as a supplement. You do not use much at all in more recipes. I only use maybe 1/8 teaspoon in rice for example. It can overpowering so it needs to be used sparingly. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

Add a generous sprinkling of curry to egg whites or egg beaters, along with ham, cheese, chopped oniin and red pepper. Any thing you like in your eggs goes well with curry.
Honored Contributor

it is excellent in soups, stews, casseroles, and omelets.

add some to chicken soups in particular......it really enhances the color.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Regular Contributor

Thank you ALL very much!! I really appreciate all of the recipe ideas! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Tumeric lattes are very popular. I have one almost every night. It definitely helps me recover from hard workouts. 

Just take two teaspoons of tumeric, one teaspoon of ginger and mix with a cup or so of either almond or coconut milk and warm. It is very soothing at night.

I have experimented a little and now do this - a cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk, two teaspoons of grated FRESH tumeric and one of grated fresh ginger (both found in the same area in the supermarket) and a grating of nutmeg. I place everything in my Vitamix and froth for 5-6 minutes until hot (and the grated spices are totally dissolved).

Yummy - kind of like chai tea.

Just Google "tumeric latte" and you'll find lots of recipes.