Regular Contributor

Re: Turmeric? -- What types of recipes do you use this spice in? +++

terrier3 wrote:

Tumeric lattes are very popular. I have one almost every night. It definitely helps me recover from hard workouts. 

Just take two teaspoons of tumeric, one teaspoon of ginger and mix with a cup or so of either almond or coconut milk and warm. It is very soothing at night.

I have experimented a little and now do this - a cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk, two teaspoons of grated FRESH tumeric and one of grated fresh ginger (both found in the same area in the supermarket) and a grating of nutmeg. I place everything in my Vitamix and froth for 5-6 minutes until hot (and the grated spices are totally dissolved).

Yummy - kind of like chai tea.

Just Google "tumeric latte" and you'll find lots of recipes.

@terrier3

Hi!
Thanks so much for these reciipe ideas! I workout in the early evening, so I think I am going to try that drink suggestion! And I love chai tea, so I have to try that one as well!  I have a Vitamix, so I cannot wait to make this recipe. I haven't used fresh turmeric before. Is this going to STAIN things? ....duh, I am sure it will. My Shih Tzu's face is such a mess whenever I put turmeric powder in her food....omg. It ends up getting over everything....including her little face. She ends up looking kind of sunflower-y. lol 

Honored Contributor

@Wannabeincali wrote:

@terrier3 wrote:

Tumeric lattes are very popular. I have one almost every night. It definitely helps me recover from hard workouts. 

Just take two teaspoons of tumeric, one teaspoon of ginger and mix with a cup or so of either almond or coconut milk and warm. It is very soothing at night.

I have experimented a little and now do this - a cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk, two teaspoons of grated FRESH tumeric and one of grated fresh ginger (both found in the same area in the supermarket) and a grating of nutmeg. I place everything in my Vitamix and froth for 5-6 minutes until hot (and the grated spices are totally dissolved).

Yummy - kind of like chai tea.

Just Google "tumeric latte" and you'll find lots of recipes.

@terrier3

Hi!
Thanks so much for these reciipe ideas! I workout in the early evening, so I think I am going to try that drink suggestion! And I love chai tea, so I have to try that one as well!  I have a Vitamix, so I cannot wait to make this recipe. I haven't used fresh turmeric before. Is this going to STAIN things? ....duh, I am sure it will. My Shih Tzu's face is such a mess whenever I put turmeric powder in her food....omg. It ends up getting over everything....including her little face. She ends up looking kind of sunflower-y. lol 

Yes, tumeric stains...but I found that if I rinse the Vitamix bowl ASAP with detergent, it comes out OK. I got a drop on my quartz countertop and it was the first time I had to actually SCRUB to get the color out!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm actually watching a re-run of Andrew Lessman on HSN2 right now and he is presenting Turmeric.  He said that with turmeric, it needs fat in order to be absorbed properly and used by the body, so make sure that whatever food you are mixing it into has some fat in it.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Frequent Contributor

I use it in a lot of cooking almost anything I make. My grandson will ask gramma does this have tumeroc? (Turns cooking yellow) or will say gramma is this what I think it is? To funny he said my chicken I put turmeric in was the Best he had ever had in his whole life!   He said that chicken was Amazing! He is 8 

Mj

Regular Contributor

I use it in recipes for yellow rice instead of saffron. The price of saffron is too high. IMO it is a good sub for saffron, just don't overdo it.  I also take turmeric capsules for health.