Valued Contributor

This may not fit in with tuna casserole, but a long time ago I made a recipe with canned tuna, rice and cheddar cheese soup. Then the potato chip topping. This topic reminded me of it and how much I loved that casserole to use tuna. I may have to go on a hunt for the recipe.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

Absolutely not a fan of tuna casserole; haven't eaten it since high school, and can proudly say it has never been made, or served, in this house.  

Never in my life have I ever had tuna noodle casserole!

I'm pretty sure we never had it because it was something my father would not have eaten.

I'm not a fan of any type of casserole.

Trusted Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@RedTop wrote:

Absolutely not a fan of tuna casserole; haven't eaten it since high school, and can proudly say it has never been made, or served, in this house.  

I'm pretty sure we never had it because it was something my father would not have eaten.

@CelticCrafter Not even Mac 'n Cheese??!!!

Super Contributor

This has made me hungry for tuna casserole.  

Valued Contributor

@CelticCrafter  Not a fan of casseroles? My husband is the same. There is nothing more I would like to do now at my age, than to put togerher a one pot dish or casserole in the mornings to pop in the oven for supper. I have a LOT more energy in the AM that evenings. Hubby will not touch any kind of one dish meal. It has to be a meat, a veggie, a starch and a salad and none of it toether. So I thought of my spouse when I read your post.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@vabreeze wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@RedTop wrote:

@CelticCrafter Not even Mac 'n Cheese??!!!

@vabreeze not really.  I think that goes back to childhood, having to eat it every single Friday night because of the no meat rule growing up in a Catholic household.

Respected Contributor

Instead of crushed potato chips on top I use these. Spice it up nicely!

Doritos Flamin' Hot Limon and Cool Ranch chips | 2020-01-08 | Snack Food &  Wholesale Bakery

Respected Contributor

@corita wrote:

Haven't made it in years, but when I did...I always put crushed potato chips on top for a crust!  Don't know if that is widely done, but my mom used to do it!!

Yes, I do that too.  Now I'm craving tuna noodle casserole.

Respected Contributor

@vabreeze wrote:

@Luvsmyfam,

I decided to Google for a stepped up version of tuna casserole after reading your post.  So, I haven't made this recipe yet that has piqued my interest but do intend to soon.  Count me among those who haven't made a tuna casserole in ages.  I am also including some of the comments from a chef in his review of this recipe.  I often add chopped pimentos to casseroles I make and would probably use them in this recipe.

JAZZED UP TUNA CASSEROLE

Recipe by Sharon123

READY IN: 45 mins.   SERVES: 6

INGREDIENTS3

3 cups uncooked yolk-free wide egg noodles

2 (6 oz) cans tuna in water, drained and flaked

1 cup zucchini, grated

3⁄4 cup light sour cream

1⁄2 cup celery, diced

1⁄4 cup onion, chopped

1⁄4 cup light mayonnaise

1⁄2 tsp dried thyme

1⁄4 tsp dried oregano

1⁄4 tsp salt

1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, grated, and mixed with

1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated

1 medium tomatoes, chopped

DIRECTIONS

Cook noodles according to package directions, drain. In a large bowl, combine the noodles, tuna, zucchini, sour cream, celery, onion, mayonnaise, mustard, thyme, oregano and salt; mix well. Spoon half into a 2 quart baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray.

Sprinkle with half of the cheese mixture. Repeat layers. Top with tomato. cover and bake at 350°F. for 30-35 minutes. Uncover; bake 5 minutes longer.

Source: food.com

NOTES-- Based on a review cited in comments of a Chef Russ:

Substitute 1 tsp MARJORAM for thyme and oregano
Substitute diced JICAMA or diced WATER CHESTNUTS for celery
Use thinly sliced rings of LEEKS instead of onion
Additionally, add a SHALLOT if you think you'lll miss the onion taste
Garnish with scallions, chives or gar!ic chives

That sounds good, for a change.  I'd leave out the onion and tomato.  I think I'll try that next time we decide to have pasta.  We eat it very sparingly.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@miata1   You're welcome.  I understand your husband's dislike of canned soup.  I don't cook with canned soup either....Yuck!

@Carmie You know they aren't awful if used mostly as a thickening ingredient and are used in small quantities.  Also, I think they need a squirt of lemon, a good vinegar, or better yet, wine or sherry!

It's using too much of them that makes them not great for me. 

Instead of tuna casserole we make grain salads with veggies and add tuna to that sometimes.  And my favorite tunas and sardines come from Portugal, Spain and Italy.  They cost more, but less than a fast food meal per can. And they are supposed to be very good for you.

I love tuna AND sardines--the good ones.  And some are spiced or have curry flavoring, or really good olive oil they are packed in. 

Tuna used to be a cheap meal to me, now  I look at it as a healthy meal.  And an easy easy meal!  Woman Very Happy